Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's Only a Super Moon

Call me jaded, but I expected something a little more impressive than what I saw from something with "super" in the title.

1. It wasn't that big.
2. It wasn't that bright. (Seen brighter ones that were just any old "full" moon. Or that's how it seemed to me.)
3. It didn't even seem that close. (Even though the moon was supposed to be closer tonight than at any other time this year.) I've remembered walking out and thinking "wow -- you could touch the moon." Didn't even remotely feel that way tonight.

The best viewing time was supposed to be at 10:34 p.m. CT though the moon wouldn't be closest to the earth until around 11. I shot the upper shot at 10:55 and the lower shot 20 minutes earlier.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

I don't feel so bad about missing it then. I'm stuck at work in a room with no windows. Great photos!

Karen Anne said...

You could sure tell from the tides here.

MonkeyGirl said...

Buddercup was completely intrigued by the yellow moon. She had to point it out to every single living creature outside last night!

kaypasa2001 said...

I just unfriended someone on Facebook for blaspheming the lunar Goddess. I'm giving you a pass because at least you took photographs, but I am disappointed in my friends who thought they were getting ... what? Speilberg? Harvest moon? It was just a really cool moon. I loved the haze around it.

NV said...

Jayne -- Thanks! It was something to see but it wasn't all that.

Karen Anne -- That would be be cool!

MonkeyGirl -- That cracked me up. I love that kid.

KayO -- No offense intended. I just didn't get the hype. It was a full moon. Full moons are cool. (I make a point of seeing them, so I stand by conclusion that I've seen others that I thought were brighter and/or bigger.) It wasn't the moon I was annoyed it. It was the hype.