Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Not So Funny Joke


Do you remember how comedians used to regularly start jokes like, "My wife is SOOO fat …" and wait for the corresponding, "How fat IS she?" response from the audience? Remember those jokes?

My bathroom IS one of those jokes. And I'm not laughing.

Yesterday afternoon I was moving right along, managing to cut the quarter-round with only ONE mitred angle error when I made a rather nasty discovery that begins with: My bathroom is SOOOO small. How small is it? So small that I can't get a 46-inch piece of quarter-round to the wall in a single piece – without dismantling plumbing at one end or the other. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

There's another option, of course. It means cutting the piece. And that sucks. I've not decided yet whether I'm going to do it or not or if I'm brave enough to put on my plumber's hat. (I'm of the school that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm of that school because the lessons I've had have taught me time and again to NOT go mucking with things within This D*mn House that are otherwise sound … it's generally not a risk worth taking.)

How can a 30-square-foot room be this difficult? The finish line is definitely within reach but looks like it's going to be one helluva home stretch.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Doesn't stuff like that just take the wind right out of your sails?? GRR.

Karen Anne said...

Am I understanding that the problem is a straight cut on the quarter round?

If so, go for it. I had to patch trim where a PO had cut chunks out of it to construct a closet they built onto the wall (thank goodness they just cut chunks out, and didn't rip off the part in the closet.) I just used wood putty or somesuch, I forget exactly what, but patching, sanding, and painting, no problem. It looked fine.

I would imagine you could easily fix the cut join in a similar way.

MonkeyGirl said...

You can do it! Just make the cut and move on to the next project:-)

NV said...

Jayne -- YES! I was so mad - I had to walk away from it and work on something else.

Karen Anne -- Yep, you got it. And yes, I can touch it up. I just resent having to do that because usually when I do, it's to cover an error I MADE. ;-) It's also a particularly sensitive issue because of an egregious error already made (also NOT by me).

kaypasa2001 said...

First rule of life: do NOT mess with the plumbing. If you do, you will have to to follow it all the way out to the water main.