Friday, June 29, 2012


To say it’s hot is a terrible understatement. Try “Pits of Hell” and you might be getting close. And the end is nowhere close with triple-digit heat projected through at least Monday.

The good news is that the humidity was incredibly low yesterday (16 percent) or we would have been roasting like capons on a spit. As it was, it was hot enough for me. The news said we had an actual high of 108 yesterday. Pearl reported a balmy 107 when I got inside around 2 p.m. And once I’d arrived home?

More like 112.

My biggest fears at times like this are power outages or A/C failure. (Our unit is getting up in years unfortunately.) It’s one of those purchases that, if I was working full-time again, wouldn’t be too big a deal. There were some outages in our area yesterday but it avoided us. Whew!

My goal for the weekend is to keep cool. I am contemplating getting up early (like a normal work day) and doing some much needed concrete work. This is PERFECT weather for it. Plenty of time to cure with nary a drop of rain in sight!

And I hear we're not alone. This weather is going on all over the country. So if it's in your neighborhood, stay safe and be cool.


Karen Anne said...

Dear People Who Did Not Believe in Climate Change/Global Warming: We told you so.

(I know this isn't you :-)

Jayne said...

It's really hot here too. I've been getting up early in the mornings on my days off to work on the house, and I have to quit by about 10:30 a.m. Jeez, it's hot!

ROTFLMBO at Karen Anne's comment!!

NV said...

Karen Anne -- I'm with Jayne, LOVE IT!

Jayne -- Sounds like we've been of the same mind. I worked outside from 6 to 11 a.m. today!