Tuesday, December 14, 2010

ToolTalk Tuesday: Black & Decker Ratcheting ReadyWrench

Last year, Black & Decker sent me their new ReadyWrench. All in all, I liked it. For me, it replaced the box o'sockets I inevitably would drag out -- and promptly drop all over the place -- when something needed tightening or untightening.

This year, Black & Decker sent me the ALL NEW Ratcheting ReadyWrench. And I have to say, I think they've got another winner here! Through the course of a week, I tried it on a variety of tasks, both planned and impromptu.

I love that this tool takes the 16 most common socket sizes and condenses them into one. No more fumbling with multiple pieces just to get to the right one. That size doesn’t fit? No problem, Just flip to the next. And when you’re done, throw it in the general toolbag, no buiky separate case needed to accommodate all the pieces!


I planned to test its furniture-tightening abilities as there are two Queen Anne pieces in particular that suffer the occasional wobbly leg. The wrench did not disappoint. In fact, with the added stability of the ratchet dial, B&D eliminated my singular complaint about the original ReadyWrench: Because the wrench doesn’t lock, when you would use it on smaller settings, it would not always find enough leverage to grip and was prone to slipping. With the ratchet, this did not occur.

You may have read a post some weeks back where I installed a Victorian mailbox. I used the original ReadyWrench to tighten the nuts on the mounting bolts. While doing my test of the next generation, I gave those nuts a few extra twists. Effortless and now locked in place!
I like the redesign, too. Where the original tool was flat, the new model is arched at palm level, making it easier to get a firm grip, for hands of almost any size. It weighs about the same as the first ReadyWrench, too – hefty, but not heavy.

I can see the Ratcheting Ready Wrench coming in handy for a dozen uses. It would be a good addition to a mechanic or carpenter’s kit whether a pro or weekend warrior.

I also tried the wrench to tighten up a recently assembled shelf. Two quick turns and it was locked tight. With Christmas just around the corner and a pile of “some assembly required” gifts in most of our futures, I see this as a very handy option!

Conclusion: This is a well thought out and very handy product. I really like the redesign, the convenience and at this price for a multi-use tool. I’ll give it an A overall.
Availability: Most retail and online outlets, $24.99 (Amazon.com) to $31.99 (Ace Hardware)

Get your own – for FREE
Full Disclosure: Last year, I accepted an offer to join the Black & Decker New Products Team and as a result, received the product described above for evaluation. I did not receive any additional compensation for participating in this program. But …

Black & Decker has given me the opportunity to share the Ratcheting ReadyWrench with you.

The rules are simple:

  • Leave a comment on this post – 1 entry (post-related ONLY, please)
  • Tweet this post’s link – 5 entries
  • Write a blog post – 15 entries (your post must contain a link to the contest post)

LET ME CLARIFY ... The MOST entries you can get is a total of 21. You need only tweet once to claim 5 entries. Leave me a link in the comments. If you write a blog post, leave me a link in the comments and you claim 15 more entries. You don't have to leave me 15 links in the comments. You won't get more than 21 entries. I LOVE getting comments ... but not spammed.

Contest ends at 11:59 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 18.

And when you comment or post on your blog, tell me about your worst assembly nightmare. As a prompt, here’s a link to my favorite and one of my most recent fiasco requiring assembly. Good luck!

8 comments:

Gloria said...

Hi, Nicole. Thanks for this giveaway -- I'd love to win it for myself AND my son to use! My worst 'assembly' nightmare is probably trying to assemble an outdoor charcoal grill some years ago. Nothing fit, nothing would tighten up, it was truly a nightmare. So frustrating! This was when my son was little. Now that he is bigger, I make HIM put things together!! :)
Best regards and thanks,
Gloria

artsyfish said...

Are you saying that 1 tool will replace the box of pieces my Mom got me years ago? The one that is always upside down when I open it? If I don't win it I'll probably buy it!

kaypasa2001 said...

I WANT ONE! I just dumped sockets all over the garage floor, like, yesterday. I love having the right tool for the job but it always turns out that I am hopelessly inept at selecting it. It sounds like this might be the right tool ... OFTEN!

kaypasa2001 said...

I WANT ONE! I just spilled sockets all over the garage floor, like, yesterday. Okay, maybe Saturday. Anyway, I'm always excited when I have the right tool for the job, but then it turns out I'm inept in using it. This one seems pretty stupid-proof. So gimme a point!

cd said...

First of all, any of our friends who see my interest in this product will never believe it. My nightmare assembly was 14 years ago. I purchased the largest swingset avaiable for my then two year old son. Determined, I set out to assemble it one hot, humid, 90+degree day in August. For three days I assmebled, tightened, re-assmebled what seemed like thousands of parts. Finally, I call Wal-mart (who to their credit) sent someone out because I had it somewhat assembled. Turns out it was two swingsets in the same box. The guy from Wal-mart spent six hours helping and it's still standing and entertaining son number two! Happy Holidays!

Tonia said...

This would make a great gift for my husband. Although he kind of hoards tools so I'm not sure I could get him to give up all his socket sets. Wonder if he would notice if any went "missing."

AJDS said...

This would be awesome as my husband does not keep good track of his tools. It'd be nice NOT to have to search for sockets everytime something needed tightening.

Because of this- the last time I bought something to be assembled- my mom and I did it, to protect my marriage. ;) I knew my mom and I would put together three storage cabinets much easier than he and I would.

MonkeyGirl said...

I know a couple of guys in my house that could seriously use that tool! Neither one can seem to find the right socket so nothing gets tightened!

I recall trying to put together an entertainment center once by myself only to find out when I had it 75-80% assembled that I had it all backwards and had to take it all apart and start over again! Arghhh!