Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Storm Damage

The wind roared like a freight train before during and after Monday night’s/early yesterday’s storm. I tried to sleep in yesterday but was awakened several times by rattling window or banging wires, courtesy of its force.

On the news last night, they said that we had wind gusts up to 62 mph. I believe it. The wind stayed steady all day at 20-30 mph. Leaves, branches and other debris swirled wildly about. This meant I couldn’t work on the new project. (Hopefully, that gets done this weekend. It’s supposed to be quite nice.) The winds are to stay with us through tomorrow. I think we have a sustained wind of about 15 mph this morning.

So I lined out clothes (getting rid of yet another small bag of giveaways) and took three new pair of slacks to the sewing lady for hemming. And I did laundry.

I thought we had come through the storm unscathed. But then, as I was coming back from the seamstress, I spied two pieces of plastic laying in the yard. Upon closer inspection, I found one of the shutters from my bedroom window (at the back of the house) laying in the rocks beneath. Uh-oh.

That baby had been shorn clean off the screws. I think I even know when it happened and it wasn’t during the height of the storm but several hours later. I heard a hellacious noise outside my window but when I looked out, I didn’t see anything. (The shutter had fallen too close to the house for me to see it.)

It’s not the first time this has happened. And I don’t even think this is the first time it has happened to this shutter. This time, however, it’s beyond repair. It’s going to require a new pair. Bummer. (I think this is the third or fourth new pair we’ve had to buy over the years.)

After watching the news last night though and seeing all of the felled trees and power lines, some with trees crashing through roofs or falling onto cars, I’m feeling pretty fortunate.


Ty'sMommy said...

I was wondering how you guys fared down there! We were expecting some pretty severe weather, but it blew through so quickly that we didn't sustain any damage.

Mama Martha said...

We had the wind & rain like crazy at 4am, then woke up at 6am to a chainsaw! Luckily it was one of the trees in the median that came down. The road crew was clearing it out of the street. No damage to house or the many cars parked in the driveway.

MonkeyGirl said...

We lost our power for about 10 hours and have a few small branches in the front yard but that was the extent of our damage. The worst part was trying to dress in the dark and no blow drier!