Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Break in the Weather

It’s actually cool out this morning. (I think it’s about 67 degrees.) My body is so unaccustomed to the temperature change that it’s not quite sure how to react.

I won’t get too comfortable with it though. The heat and humidity are supposed to return for the holiday weekend. I’m bracing myself.

I got the later bus this morning for the first time in more than a week (before I started going in at dawn regularly) and it is surprisingly full. I think many people were affected by the loss of the bus I used to ride, coupled with the bus immediately before this one not going all the way to St. Louis. Hence, one full bus.

When I got home the other night, I was stunned to find the barricades along the road in front of my house gone! I had assumed they were going to do our side of the street once they’d finished the other, but apparently not. Now the lanes on our side – from carrying all the traffic for a number of weeks – are in horrid shape. Fixing them is even more of a desperate need than before.

The good news is that getting in and out of the driveway is back to the normal challenge associated with a four-lane roadway. It was actually strange to pull in last night instead of taking to the sidestreets, coming in the alley, driving through part of the yard and onto the driveway and backing in.

Thanks to the pleasant weather, I went for a long walk yesterday covering at least 18 blocks. I stopped by the St. Louis Landmarks Association. I’m pretty sure I’m going to join as their mission seems to align with my feelings on preservation.

Meanwhile, construction continues in earnest to relocate the entrance to One City Centre as that project directly ties into the renovation of the old St. Louis Centre mall into a parking garage. If you look closely, you can see that a “skytube” connecting the building to the garage across the street has been dismantled. I’m not sure if they’re both coming down or not.




No comments: