Thursday, August 19, 2010

Skyward

The sunrise was captivating this morning. It was a swirl of red, purple, pink, blue with a huge orb of orange emerging from it.

It held my attention for much of my commute as the morning light slowly burned through the clouds. I would have tried to photograph it but I couldn’t have come close to doing it justice. (Not to mention I was hampered by both a filthy window and a bus every bit as jumpy as a trampoline.) No. I had to be content with watching it in this moment only.

The rest of the passengers on the bus seemed unaffected by it as the light began to dance around the bus, creating an odd collection of shadows. How is such a thing in your midst and you allow it to escape your attention?

I’m glad I don’t know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our break room at work is a glassed-in, semi-circular room that lets in the most magnificent sunlight during the early morning hours. The other day, I sat there watching the sun amidst a group of my coworkers, each and every one of them staring at their cell phones. No one said a word, and no one noticed . . .

Why S? said...

It's true that we live in a culture that is becoming more and more fixated on electronic devices, to the point that we are forgetting to experience our own lives.

But, I also have to confess that I've never been particularly aware of the world around me. Even as a child, I lived pretty happily in my own head. It's just a function of a certain personality type. It's what makes you good with tools and me bad with them. Functioning in the physical world is a certain skill.

Yeah, I miss out on a lot. But then, I get some cool thinking done.