Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mother Nature Changes Everything

Not long after my last post, I walked into the kitchen where the shuttered window remained open. As I neared it to close the shutters, it was like a camera flash exploded in my face.

It was lightning. The forecast, that on Friday had called for dry weather through the middle of the following week, had since been altered to include thunderstorms, some severe, on Saturday night, early today and again this afternoon. On the news, they were saying that places 30-40 minutes west of us were getting huge hail.

Marvelous.

We’d left a few things outside with plans to use them again today. I slipped on my flip flops and ventured outside to put them into the shed. It was already starting to sprinkle. The lightning was constant and beautiful. Captivated, I lingered briefly to watch it up close and personal. Since it wasn’t really raining yet, I’d have loved to have set up the tripod and tried to capture it but I know that the mother would have thrown a fit. (It really wouldn’t have been smart, but it was soooo beautiful.) I can only remember a handful of times in my life where I’ve seen it like this, but even then, I don’t think it lasted for both as long or as spectacularly.

The thunder sounded like Armageddon. It and the lightning raged on for hours. I finally went to bed and managed to sleep in spite of it. The thunder has resumed this morning, bringing some rain but nothing major. I’ve not glimpsed any lightning yet.

The good news is that I didn’t wash the car. If I had pushed to wash it yesterday I’d be really angry right now. As it stands, I’ll be lounging a bit (I’ve already managed to sleep in which was delicious.) Even though I’d woke up early (thanks to the thunder) and grabbed some Tylenol while I was at it, I’m still a little sore.

I could turn my attention inside as it’s not like there aren’t plenty of things I could do. Somehow though, I think I’ll putter.

2 comments:

Mama Martha said...

I'm glad you could sleep through the thunder as I could not. And the dog, forget about it! Last night was blissfully thunder-free.

kitchen cabinets said...

Nice text it is interesting. Thanks for the hard work creating this kind of information.