Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Trip to the History Museum

On Friday, the mother and I visited the Missouri History Museum. I'm wondering what the hell took us so long!

The motivation for going was the Vatican Splendors display. It was OK. (I thought some of the things were very cool but I don't think it was as cool as a Vatican Display we saw at the art museum four or five years ago.) Even so, it had its moments. What I thought was very cool:

*Replica of the Pieta -- This was a cast done in 1975, made from a cast of the original that was done in 1930. That cast was very important as its existence helped to restore the statue in 1972 after some freak, claiming to be Jesus, wigged out and attacked the 15th Century masterpiece.

*Several portraits, including one of St. George, that had never before been displayed outside the Vatican.

* Frescos of several ancient popes which survived an 1823 fire of the 4th Century Basilica of St. Paul.

*Mock-up of the workspace of Michelangelo during the painting of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling.

We spent a little more than an hour in the display itself. We meandered into a meager display from the World's Fair (1904)and logged at least another hour in the gift shop.

Photos were forbidden in the Vatican display but I snapped these at the World's Fair section.



The stuff they had was neat but I was surprised that it was so sparse.

Another of my favorite things was the view as soon as you entered the door.


The short version of this story is that we only scratched the surface. We didn't get to see much of their offerings at all. So you just know we'll have to go back!

8 comments:

Kate R said...

Sounds like an excellent way to spend a miserbly hot day. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kate R said...

Miserably not miserbly. I can spell, I just suck at typing!

Kate R said...

Miserably not miserbly. I can spell, I just suck at typing!

Why S? said...

Yes, it does sound like a lovely day. But that's not a very elegant view of Mr. Jefferson. Although he deserves to be honored, I'm not sure that in THAT pose, he should be literally placed on a pedestal.

plumbelieve said...

Oh NKV, This is one of my favorite places. I have been going to Meriwether's for lunch for a long time. It now has a new name but I am eager to check it out with J-Bird and the D. I will happily join you the next time. As you know, I just love the park and go as often as I can. It feeds my love and addiction for anything to do with the 1904 World's Fair.

Glad you had a nice time with the mother.

Vicki said...

You need to come to DC.

NV said...

Kate -- Thank you! And I know you can spell. like me, it's just that whole typing thing. :-)

Why -- I dunno. I don't think it's a bad view of TJ. He looks human!

PB -- Yes, it is indeed a place of awesomeness. Must return there.

Vicki -- One of these days ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello.

A cool thing I did at our local History museum was to take a COPY of me deed and research all the previous owners of my old house through the census records. Cost me a whopping $3 to get into the "records section" but facinating results and a who's who of my old house. (1890-Buffalo NY)

Good Luck with all your restorations.

Sincerely,
Jackie