Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Year Later, a Happy Ending

Almost exactly a year ago, I was haunted by the terrified screams of a kitten. This went on for days.

Finally, I was able to both locate and reach said kitten. If you’ve been following the blog for a while you’ll recognize these photos.



Tiny little thing, not even weaned. (You might also recall that I thought the kitten was a boy and started calling it Taz. NOT so! He was actually a she. But she looked so much like a boy that even the vet did a double-take.)

We agonized over keeping her and for months last year I tried desperately to find her a home. And then, just when I’d resigned myself to having a third fur fiend again, a phone call and an email changed everything. So, it was with more sadness than I thought there’d be that Taz went to a new home last fall.

As hard a choice as that was, there is no doubt in my mind that it was the right one. We were meant to be Taz’s rescuers and temporary caretakers. We were just a stop on her intended path. She was meant to fill a void for someone who’d lost a feline companion of 14 years and was stuck in that terrible place between wanting another one and never wanting to feel the heartbreak of such a loss ever again.


This was the last photo I took of Taz. I had no idea that I would miss her so much. But missing her is easily overcome when you get periodic updates and photos. And when, almost a year to the day she first padded into your life, you get a note that says, in part:

She is so much company for me. She does believe my ankles are her
toys. But I love it when she attacks me as I walk through the house.
She is a good eater and a great litter box cat. She loves yogurt which I eat each evening....many times she digs in while I'm still eating. I prefer she waits and then I save her some......but that doesn't always happen and I truly don't mind eating after her.....again my husband thinks I'm crazy and I always say....yes I am....crazy about Taz !!! So thanks again for bringing her up the right way her first few months.

And when that note comes with photos, like these.

That little baby has grown into a beautiful girl cat (who looks a LOT like Toby!) who hit the jackpot in the home department. Yeah, sometimes things really DO work out the way they’re supposed to.


6 comments:

Kate R said...

Awwww, so glad to get an update. And I'll say it again, you did good! She's turned into a real beauty. But then, I may be biased because she looks a lot like ours.

I don't think I've ever told you, when we adopted our fur-guy last fall, we named him Taz. It was the only name dd & I could agree on & it's actually pretty appropriate. Whenever he hears an exterior door open, he takes off in a blur of fur, kind of like the mini tornado blur of the cartoon Tazmanian Devil. I'm sure this explains how he ended up at Animal Control, twice. Apparently the second time, his previous owners declined to pick him up & told animal control to just keep him.

MonkeyGirl said...

I meant to tell you earlier that she is a beauty and you did a nobel thing by giving her a good temporary home and waiting for just the right person to come along!

Mama Martha said...

NV, what a great thing you did. She is so happy, you can see it in those pics.

Ty'sMommy said...

Ooohhhh that is wonderful! It is great to see her in such a clearly loving home. You did good, NV.

Why S? said...

What a wonderful update. I can't believe she turned into such an elegant beauty.

Yes, sometimes things do turn out right - and sometimes, it's only because a good-hearted person decided to do the right thing.

Vicki said...

Wait, is that cat with the purple line coming out of it Taz or Toby?! I'm so glad things worked out well for her.