Monday, May 5, 2008

When the Earth Moves

And I don't mean in a good way …

With the news of another local earthquake this morning, although much less than the one of a few weeks ago (2.6 vs. 5.4), I felt inclined to share some tips from FEMA on what to do during an earthquake.

We weren't alone, either. Between yesterday and this morning, the San Diego area also had a minor quake and the southern Philippines had one classified as moderate (4.8). And on Friday, similar moderate quakes shook Alaska, Indonesia, and New Zealand. There's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

Apparently, the things I always remembered being told to do are 100 percent wrong, meaning I was more likely to end up dead if a mondo quaker hit. (I was always told that you go outside. After seeing this stat -- Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls-- I'm thinking that wasn't such a good idea.)

One of the tips is to stay in bed if you're already there at the time. (Boy did I blow that one! When This D*mn House was rocked last month, I immediately jumped from my shaking bed.) The exception: If you're directly under a heavy light fixture. Then, you should move. On second thought, I'm thinking that moving wasn't so bad. Since my bed is right next to a window, I don't think I'd want to be hit by shards of glass.

Just passing along what could be useful information if the earth's plates continue to shift with their current frequency.

No comments: