Monday, May 17, 2010

The Obstacle Course, With a Twist

Much of Sunday evening, as the rain continued to fall and to gather in formation of the lake that always appears after a hard, steady rain, we were treated to one unbelievable audio visual show after another.

All of this on top of the barricade-lined rat maze that has turned our four-lane roadway into two lanes.

You’d hear a car coming down the road. Then, as it neared This D*mn House, splaaaaaaaaasssshhhh.

Fwmmp. Pop. Pop. Pop. And then a motor would inevitably try to stall until the driver hit the gas, gunning it to life, and recycling the sound effects. Fwmmp. Pop. Pop. Pop. Well, there goes a catalytic converter! Occasionally, there was the shriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiek of a power steering belt as it tried to shake off the deluge.

At midnight, this was still going on. Good thing I wasn’t yet trying to sleep. That’s because I’ve taken a few days of vacation. I needed something beyond the weekend to reenergize. Work has been incredibly busy, and thanks to 13 out of 17 days of rain so far in May, my left arm has been intolerable and regularly interrupting my sleep.

And, I figured I could use a few days of rest as I gear up for Memorial Day weekend. We haven’t worked out all of the details yet, but that will be spent at Another D*mn House in a marathon project. In fact, we’re going to meet up with my godmother later this morning to look at some flooring. It’s an important step in that project – and one I’ve been trying to get her to take for months, so that is great news.

I’m hoping we’ll be able to work out some more details today so that I can completely map things out. I’m a little concerned because it’s been so d*mn wet this month and because it almost always rains over Memorial Day weekend. But, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

Right now, I’m just anxious to get that project rollin’ and wrapped … because there’s plenty waiting to get done here.

No comments: