Monday, September 14, 2009


I woke up Saturday morning with a bit of a sore throat. By the time that the mother and I headed out for a shopping adventure in the early afternoon, it had greatly improved. Saturday was a day to dial it back a bit. We picked up things to work on the house, bought some gifts for some soon-to-arrive babies, enjoyed a Chinese dinner, and I spent the latter part of the evening working on the bathroom floor. It’s finally coming along.

For some weeks, I’ve been having nose-related issues (I won’t gross you out with the details, but I think you can imagine) that just won’t seem to let up. Now, as of yesterday, my throat has officially joined the ranks. The soreness returned with a vengeance overnight Saturday, hurting and making me cough, needing to blow my nose, etc. for a good chunk of the night. I woke up early yesterday feeling like death in a sack with the throat pain having added my right ear to the roster. I put some ear drops in and tried to rest but couldn’t get comfortable. I finally gave up and started dragging myself through my day.

The mother has been helping the godmother get my late great-uncle’s house ready for sale. It’s been an arduous task to say the least. I had promised that I would take a bunch of yard waste from there to the dump the next time I took ours. Well, I didn’t manage to fit this into Saturday’s laid-back schedule, so I did it yesterday. The bright spot in the whole weekend was NOT having to mow. (Having just done it Thursday night.) But, there were three bags of clippings just waiting to be dropped off. And twice that many – plus a huge box of twigs and branches – were at my uncle’s. When I say I took a carful, I mean a car full. Trunk loaded and held by bungee, passenger seat full, half of backseat loaded. What a mess! Poor Ladybird. I really do need to wash her now and vacuum out the interior and trunk!

I also tried to do some repair to my brick walkway, replacing the cement and sand that has washed away in some parts during the past year. Looking at it this morning, I did miss a few places. (Not surprising, considering how bad I felt at that point in the day.) Other parts look really good though so I know my walkway will survive another winter!

I had a few other things I wanted to do, including washing Pearl, but it was just not to be. By the time I got everything put away outside and then came in and took care of the animals, I had barely enough energy left to shower. I tried to pick up the pace, but ended up taking a 2-hour nap mid-evening.

While I do feel better today, I don’t feel a lot better. Hoping this is only a temporary thing as I’m kind of sick of feeling like there’s a marble (shooter-sized) in my throat.


Victoria said...

You might want to be careful, it could be the H1N1 flu. ( I hate to sound like everyone else who's freaking out about it) One of our friends just got diagnosed with that recently, so I'm totally on edge.

I always take airborne and it helps to prevent and alleviate some of the symptoms. Get better!

karen said...

Get to doc. and I hope you feel better soon.

cd said...

Zyrtec daily has enabled my entire family to function. We are equal opportunity allergy sufferers. Mold, grass and hay, pollen, dust - but the Zyrtec works better than anything we have ever had prescribed by the allergist.

Debbie said...

Awww, I hope you feel better soon. Ditto what everyone else suggested; get to the doctor stat!

NV said...

Victoria -- No H1N1 here. Hope your friend is better soon!

Karen -- I heeded your advice.

CD -- Did the Zyrtec bit. It did work ... briefly. Claritin has been my longtime loyalist. But the best has been a prescription the FDA pulled.

Debbie -- Yes, ma'am! Done.

Vicki said...

Have you tried a Neti Pot? My husband has a lot of sinus issues and started using the neti pot a couple of years ago. He had to find a youtube video to see it being done to know exactly how to do it. Gross, but it seems to work.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.