Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Some Honest Scraps

Karen over at Mom, Me and Alzheimer’s was kind enough to tap me with “The Honest Scrap” award. It’s always nice to get some recognition. Thank you! I wasn’t familiar with this, but after doing a bit of digging online, I’m grinning.

One entry I found says: “This award is about bloggers who post from their heart, who oftentimes put their heart on display as they write from the depths of their soul.” I have to think that doesn’t often apply to my house-related entries, but I’ve been known to go off the reservation where topics are concerned and there’s several I’m passionate about, so I take that as a sincere compliment.

There are two parts to this. First, I’m supposed to tell you 10 “honest” things about me. Then, I’m supposed to invite at least seven blogging buddies to do the same. (I won’t put anyone on the spot to do this, but if you’d like to contribute and blame me for it, I’ll gladly read and comment on your 10!) Hardest part is trying to think of some things that I haven’t said 100 times already! Here goes nothing:

1. I’m short – and hate it. (I never would want to be "freakishly tall" as my friend KayO says the other end of the spectrum is, but 5'4 would have been nice!)
2. As much as I appreciate technology (just try to take my iPod or digital camera away -- I dare ya), I view cell phones as a necessary evil and still resent owning one.
3. I think I was a pack mule in a previous life: I hate making multiple trips to the car when carrying things inside and try to drag as much in at once as possible.
4. One of my favorite surprises is getting a written letter or a random greeting card (one not tied to a birthday or other occasion) in the mail.
5. I’m a HUGE history buff. Genealogy, historic buildings, antiques – love it all.
6. I loathe “rude” in all forms. Can’t people just be friendly and use manners? It’s not hard. Really.
7. I don’t think that life is fair but I’m learning that it can be exactly what you make of it.
8. Sinus and allergy issues have taught me that breathing is highly underrated.
9. I try to learn something new every day – personal growth (waist and hips not withstanding) matters.
10. I used to think I wanted to completely restore an old home. (Wait – I’m already doing that – though This D*mn House is a far cry from the kind of “old home” I had in mind.)

7 comments:

karen said...

I loved reading your 10 things. You are so interesting . You are one of my favorite blogs. Keep posting .

MonkeyGirl said...

OMG - you are short?? I never would have guessed that about you! LOL!!

modernemama said...

Great list

Debra said...

Love the list!

My youngest daughter is short at 5'2". However, she was under 5' until at least 16 years old. When her aunt got married in the year 2000, Brittany came up to me all excited. She said "mom, if my aunt Brenda got married, and she's short... that means I might get married some day right?" She totally thought her height was a handicap!!

She has since changed her mind. She loves being petite and small enough for her boyfriends to pick up. :)

Mama Martha said...

I'm with you on the 'short' list, wish I were at least 5'4" as well. The daughter is almost 5'5" and she complains that she is too short!! Grrrr

NV said...

Karen-- Thank you! That is SO sweet. I check on you every day because I think what you're doing is wonderful.

MG -- And everybody loves a smartass. :-)

moderne -- Thanks!

Debbie -- I'm barely 5'2 and didn't get the last two or three inches until I was 15 or 16. Funny how that works!

MM -- R is already that tall? OMG! Yeah, I always thought 5'4 would have been great, because then, with heels, you'd be a "normal" height.

Why S? said...

It's no fun being short. On a good day I'm 5'. Not only are most of my kitchen shelves inaccessible to me but pants are impossible to buy without alterations (I wear a lot of capris.) But I look on the bright side and figure that when the shooting starts, I'll have more places in which to hide.