Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update: Good, Bad and Indifferent

Last night, the mother’s luggage arrived safely in St. Louis. She, however, did not.

After all that work and all the madness of yesterday in trying to get things half-way decent, my hopes for a big “reveal” blew up like so much smoke. Turns out that a delay in getting to Atlanta caused the mother and her friend to miss their flight home. They spent the night there and got another flight out today.

Someone else picked them up this morning. I couldn’t leave things the way I’d wanted her to see them so she had to see them as she saw them.

She finally got home earlier. Mind you, I haven’t been able to really talk to her, or to show her some things, but it has gotten little more than a shoulder shrug so far.

What a gyp, man. That would be our "indifferent" installment -- at least for now.

The bad is that Ozzie is sick. He was yakking all over this morning, making me really late, meaning I had to do a bus/train combination. (Buses only cross the river certain hours each day.) The bus was crowded, noisy, and I couldn't work or write.

The good? Well, the mother IS finally home. I didn't have to go to the airport last night. And, the only thing standing between me and a three-day weekend is the rest of today and an abbreviated tomorrow. Got to love that!

I'd be completely remiss if I didn't point out this bit o'good: today is my dear, longtime friend CD's birthday. Happy birthday, girl! Hope it's a great one. And Micki, if you're reading, thanks for giving me such a wonderful friend.

Update: I’m feeling MUCH better now. The mother called me during lunch asking where this was and that was and uttered a line I wish I’d heard first thing this morning: “I don’t know how you got all of this done.”

(What is it that Jayne always says about perserverance and the snail? Well, that’s how.) Looking back, I’m thinking if I’d had another week … it might have been done. But, I also might have been done, too, as I don’t think I’ve had more than 20 hours of sleep total since she left.

She also was grateful that the yard was cut so it didn’t look scraggly with company on site. And what’s funny is that she’s still so out of sorts, not to mention tired, that she hasn’t even SEEN everything yet. I just had to tell her to go look out the kitchen window at the shed! Can’t wait to get home and see what else she hasn’t even discovered yet. And yes,pictures are coming.


Debbie said...

Well, I'm glad she made it home safely. I'm sure she's just tired and will express her excitement once you get home. :)

Kris said...

NV - your website just makes me grin every time I read through your blog - and it makes me tired and leaves me feeling in adequate. lol Do you ever quit working? What will you do when you are all done with the projects? Cannot wait to see the photo's of the before & afters. You are doing an amazing job - oh, and I'm glad your mom made it home too.

Karen Anne said...

Poor Ozzie, how is he doing?

NV said...

Debbie -- she definitely was tired and it took DAYS for her to notice some things.

Kris -- Thanks but don't feel inadequate. I don't get it all done and I rarely get it done right. I'm going to quit working (at this pace anyway) pretty soon. We've been hard at it for the past three years + taking just a bit of time off here and there. A lot of the biggest jobs are either under way or complete.

Karen Anne -- Ozzie is much better, thanks! I think the mother's absence plus a bit of a bug had him under a few days.

Anonymous said...