Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day of Whine and Roses

I was cold most of the day yesterday which is never a happy state for me. I drank both coffee and tea. I had a jacket on over my v-neck sweater for part of the day.

It was in the mid 40s when I left home and it got up to a stingy 61 degrees. Even in the sun, it wasn't that warm. Today isn't look much warmer. Tomorrow and Monday --70! Yay!

So I was uncharacteristically whiny yesterday. It was a good thing that my group activities were very limited or my co-workers might have found out just how much of a pain in the ass I really can be. Achy and cold, and grumpy as a result. Whine. Whine. Whine.

I was none too pleased then when the mother called later in the afternoon. I could tell from the tone of her voice that something was up, and that I probably wasn't going to like it. "I just went out to get the mail," she began. My brain immediately started trying to process what could have come in the mail to prompt this call. She hesitated. Oh man. I am SO not going to like this.

"Well, there was this bunch of flowers sticking out of the mailbox, it's roses and some other kind of flower all mixed in, and there are one, two, three, four," she trailed off, still counting,

Wait. What?! Flowers. Again? Well, it is Friday. That was two weeks ago. The Flower Man returneth. Having processed that bit of information, my brain returned to the mother's voice. She was just wrapping up the rose count.

"There's no card, but I think we know who they're from. Oh, wait. Here's one. I won't open it though. It's personal."

Uh, mom. I don't know this guy. How personal could it be for Chrissakes? Open the card.

Again, she had trouble deciphering. But she managed to make out that he was “elated” to “receive my correspondence.” (He’s proper and has a vocabulary. I’ll give him that. Bonus points for Hallmark a second time.) He said something about “most definitely” calling at a later time as I had … who knows? Mom couldn’t read it. I can't either. I think it says "as you have indicated." He apparently read what I wrote and is honoring my request. Reasonable guy.

So, he's still out there. Stay tuned.

Right now, I am going to crawl up on the carport and caulk the cupola. It's not quite 50 degrees so I'm biding my time ... a little. That way, it will be ready for me to paint tomorrow. Then, it's back inside for a quick shower and clothing change.

The MonkeyGirl will be here in 90 minutes or so. We're going to Croptoberfest for a day of scrapbooking. YAY! And then, tonight is our high school alumni trivia night. Four of the eight including me will be there. All except me with spouses in tow. A fifth one was coming and was going to be my "date" but canceled mid-week, (Her kid has homecoming tonight.)

Maybe I should have invited the Flower Man. If he could survive a night with my friends (who would be scrutinizing left and right, watching for my best interest all the while) and it might be a fun test of his mental might. Pass this test, pal, and maybe you might be worth it.

No. Even I'm not that mean. I wouldn't put anyone on the spot like that. Besides, I don't want to be distracted by anything that would require that much attention. I want to have FUN!

So, here I go ...

7 comments:

Vicki said...

Woohoo! More flowers! You're going to have to set your mom up as a watchdog to see if he puts anything in the mailbox again. Or get some kind of camera. Have fun scrapping today!

Jayne said...

I agree with Vicki: a mailbox-cam is definitely needed. I was just wondering today if you'd heard from him again. Here's hoping he's a Prince Charming--and not a frog.

Jean Martha said...

I can't remember, did you check with the neighbors that he's friends with? I can't decide if this is terribly creepy or terribly romantic.

sewwhat? said...

As your "date" last night, we ruled the trivia world! Great spelling! I knew I had taught those 5th graders a valuable lesson when we spent a week on finding "absolute location". Now your GPS can do the same thing for you! It was lots of fun, and good luck with "Flower Man". Can't wait for the next installment of that story!

NV said...

Thanks, V. It was a glorious day and without a shout out to MonkeyMama (also known as sewwhat) a most stellar evening!

Jayne -- Not holding my breath, but hey, it's certainly livened things up the past few weeks. :-)

Upstate (MJ) -- you've summed up my feelings perfectly. Unfortunately, the neighbor in question is a neanderthal so his take on anything would have no value.

sewwhat -- you SO rock! Honored to have you as my "date." You were truly the team's secret weapon!

Ann said...

More flowers and proper words, wow. Does he know you like Austen or something? MY GOD, it's DARCY!!!

NV said...

Ann -- I could never in a million years bag a Darcy, girl! I'll just hope that I'm not completely creeped out. That would be a break-even in my book.