Monday, June 23, 2008

Brick by Brick by Brick


I didn't get a whole lot done over the weekend. In fairness, I still felt like crap on Saturday, but I got up and got moving anyway. I just didn't accomplish as much as I'd have liked.

I did get the front mowed. The back, however, retains it Vietnam qualities. I'll get to it. Where's it going to go?

I'm proud however of how the porch is beginning to look like a porch instead of just a collection of bricks. Several rows are now mortared down and I got the perimeter dug out to close off the borders. It's slooooow going, but I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. You can judge for yourself. It occurs to me that maybe it doesn't look that different from my previous photos, but believe me, it is.

I just need to be a little patient I guess. (Yeah, right. Like that will happen!) One thing I did get to: try out my RotoZip with the special cutting attachment for mortar and steel. But that's another post.

I intended to finishing mowing yesterday and make some more progress on the porch. Mother Nature, however, had other ideas. By 9 a.m. it was pouring down rain, and it did so off and on most of the day. At 5 p.m., the sun come it. (Some days, she's a real b*tch with a bad sense of humor.) But I took it in stride. I got some household things done, spent quality time with Oz, and felt completely decadent after crawling back in bed at NOON for a nap. I could get used to that. I swear I could.

Unfortunately, rain is on the menu as a possible choice for EVERY DAY this week, so who knows if or when I'll get anything else done. More of that patience stuff is required ...

5 comments:

Ann said...

I totally see the difference here! Are you loving the color? So rich isn't it? Great contrast with the house. I hope Carole isn't gonna be out there drinkin' Mai Tais every night once it's done. Better keep an eye on her. ;)

MonkeyGirl said...

Patience? Carole drinking Mai Tai's? Have I stumbled into an alternate universe? It will be a very nice place for Carole to ask if we have a coat in the car and to warn us of all the evils lurking around the corner waiting just for us! Looks great - when you are done, do you want to come over and do mine?

Liz said...

You're porch is looking fantastic! You're inspiring me to spruce up my own yard. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Liz said...

You're porch is looking fantastic! You're inspiring me to spruce up my own yard. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

NV said...

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I just wish I could get it done already as the sidewalk awaits … As for Carole and the mai-tais, MG is right: that would be an alternate universe. The only drinking going on on that porch would likely be by me, spiking my lemonade. :-) And MG, if I survive this project, and you still want a brick porch, as long as you don't have a strict timetable or expect perfection, I'm your gal.