Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Day, Times Two

I ended the day, the way I started it: In a grocery store. Apparently, going to the store with just one eye open early this morning wasn't such a bright idea after all. So I got the joy of doing it again.

I also made not one, but two trips to Lowe's. And, the crazy man from last weekend made a second appearance earlier this evening. I hope it's not getting to stalker proportions. My neighbor said I should call the police if he comes back. (He may or may not be taking his medication. Nice. My psycho magnet is working overtime.)

All that aside, I did get something done. YAY! I started on the porch -- FINALLY! I got the one side of the rail removed, put done some concrete in the wayward corner and patched the holes from removing the rails. I had put a rectangle of bricks on the porch last year using sand and just mortaring the edges. I only meant for it to be temporary anyway, knowing this project was coming.

I pulled all those bricks up today. The sand was wet so I'll sweep it out tomorrow.

I bought concrete mix to put down beneath the bricks. I was told by someone who should know that if you put a light layer down, the bricks on top, the dampen and mortar in between, you should get good results. I trust his skills, so we'll see if it works for me.

I didn't really mind driving back to Lowe's. The last remnants of the sunset were in my rearview. Good tunes playing. (Although, the iPod was making me a little uneasy by playing nearly every song I have on it that has rain in the title. It's not supposed to rain 'til tomorrow night, but I've learned.) The temperature was dropping and a cool breeze was blowing. That made the drive both exhilarating and relaxing. Just what I needed.

Right now, what I need is about 90 minutes with a masseur named Sven. Since that's not likely, I guess I'll have to settle for some Tylenol Arthritis and another hot shower.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you could just let psycho man have his way and rub all over you...that's creepy.

Unknown said...

I was cleaning out the magazine rack (JC Penney catalogs dating back to 2003 tell you how long it's been) when I ran across a Family Handyman magazine on how to lay a garden path/patio. I'm sure you have a Plan already - anyone who can stockpile bricks at a steady, discounted-only pace has a definite Plan - but it made me think of you. (You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like, but I doubt you'll get anything out of it. I think it's for folks like, uh, me.) ~KayO

NV said...

Vicky -- That comment is worthy of just one word: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

KayO -- I always have a plan, usually. Just may not always be the RIGHT plan. Especially the way this house seems to like to rebel sometimes. :-)