Thursday, July 31, 2008

Something Is Missing


Something is definitely missing, and I finally figured out what: July! Where the hell did July go?! Wasn’t it just the summer solstice about five minutes ago?

Ever since I was a kid, summer was pretty much over after my birthday. And it has come and gone and now the whole month is ending! How did that happen?! Tell me I’m not the only one for whom the summer just sped by like a NASCAR racer around the track.

I’m starting to feel the pinch of the summer wrap-up, though I’m hoping that the weather will hold through much of October. (After all, if Mother Nature hadn’t been crying her eyes out every other minute since March, I’d have 75 percent of my outside stuff DONE already.) I feel good about what I have been able to accomplish so far this summer, but as we go hurtling towards fall, I’m getting a little nervous.

I wasn’t able to reach Lawrence today; I’ll try again tonight. I need to get on his schedule to get the last two panels of fence up and so that he can get the rails/posts cut for the porch. That way, the mother can paint them before he assembles them. And has she got big plans for painting! She’s got: the foundation of the house; the porch railing, more gingerbread than I want to talk about (because after it‘s painted, guess who gets to install it?), and whatever boards I get to repair the shed temporarily until we can replace it. And those are just the highlights of OUTSIDE.

Inside … nope, I’m not going there yet. My head has exploded already!

So, to console myself about all the work ahead, I went on the hunt for a third photo of Ozzie to submit. And, it is, of course this one! How could I have forgotten about it?! That was my other missing thing for the day.

I really love this shot. This is the view I get when I come home each night. So this one HAS to get submitted. OK, all done with cute now for a while anyway, I promise. Thanks for indulging me!

6 comments:

Liz said...

What an adorable picture of Ozzie! That must be great to come home to. I've also been wondering where summer went - I'm still in shock that Labor Day is just a few weeks away.

NV said...

Thanks, Liz. I think it's my most favorite one. And yes, it's a wonderful sight after an awful day. :-) Glad I'm not the only one that summer ran from.

Jayne said...

What a happy little face Ozzie has! It must be his "Mama's home!!" face.

Ty'sMommy said...

You are so right! I was just telling my husband that summer is really almost over and we need to get winter clothes for the boy, not to mention getting the siding done. He looked at me like I was crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that the warm weather is rapidly slipping away from us.

NV said...

Jayne -- That's the look exactly. And it's such a good look to see at the end of a rough day.

Ty'smom -- More agreement that summer slips by all too quick. We've decided that the continual rain that halted things over and over is to blame. Here's hoping for six to eight fairly dry -- and warm-- weeks!

Ann said...

WOOK at him!! Oh that face, waitin' for his Mama. He is smiling and I just want to smush him all up!