Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Waffling

With the shelves and counters cleared (mostly cleared anyway), and the faux tin ceiling up, the kitchen is starting to take shape.

New appliances are coming. Soon, I’ll have to start ripping up the floor to make way for the backerboard and tile I’ll put down. On Saturday, Lawrence will put up a new ceiling medallion, a new light fixture, and the egg and dart molding.

We aren’t changing the countertops. This is a sore spot with me, but they’re still in very good shape, they’re neutral and they’ll do. And the cabinets … oh, the cabinets! How the mother and I have waffled over those for months. I want them light. She wants them dark. We’ve bought stain to make them dark.

Once again, the mother and I are changing course.

It’s partly my own fault. Me and my big mouth. And the rest of the blame gets squarely placed onto DIY Network and its Kitchen Renovations show. Thanks to them – and my big mouth –I’ve managed to possibly talk my way into another project. (There just aren’t enough of them going on at the moment!)

But there I was as the people on TV were putting up the very same ceiling I was only theirs was white. And when they got to the cabinets in the kitchen, I nearly died. Whitish finish with beadboard inserts. The mother saw it, too, and I think she finally had to concede that I’d been right: not white, not off white, but the tea-stained look of the canvas color that’s in the kitchen wallpaper!

Ohhhhh, it looked so nice. The look we exchanged spelled trouble.

Now we’re trying to figure out if we can remove the inserts in our cabinets and replace them with beadboard. It’s not like I’m lacking any; I’ve got plenty. And it would mean buying more paint. But, while it would no doubt mean a hell of a lot of work, it would make me happy. It’s what I saw in my head all along. (Write this down because I never “see” anything unless it’s parked directly in front of me. I must've had a temporary burst of the mother's "vision.")

I’m not adventurous enough to try to take apart one of the doors. I’ll wait ‘til Saturday and ask Lawrence. Meanwhile, I'm also exploring various options of what it might cost to just replace the doors altogether.

4 comments:

Ty'sMommy said...

LOL Oh NV, isn't home renovation graaaaand? I can't wait to see the finished project. meanwhile, I have my own getting ready to kick off and I'll be posting pics soon.

Liz said...

I bet it's going to look amazing when it's finished. I can't wait to see your tin ceilings - I've always loved that look. Kitchen remodels sure are interesting, aren't they?!! Have fun and good luck!

plumbelieve said...

NV - While you are in the mood for change, I have one for you. Now that you may be altering the cabinets, you have an opportunity to get a different sized cabinet for above the stove which means you can buy a bit smaller one to accomodate an over the counter microwave/hood.

Just a thought.

NV said...

Ty'sMom -- I know! How exciting for you! Exterior color is very important and makes an immediate change. Can't wait to see it.

Liz -- Without bragging, yes, it looks good. So anxious to get the molding and new light up. Just those three things will be a fabulous start. I'm so feeling your pain on the kitchen remodel, though, for right now I still have a sink and appliances! :-)

PB -- Great idea but I'm not changing the cabinets -- just maybe the doors. We have so little cabinet space as it is, I can't afford to lose even one or I definitely would do the overhead microwave/slide-in range concept.

As it is, I'll be happy if we can just CLEAR OUT the cabinet over the stove so we can put something USEFUL in it since it is one of only 1 or 2 tall enough to hold a cereal box!