Saturday, April 18, 2009


I had plans today. Fate apparently saw things differently. Fate seems to be toying with me lately.

Yesterday was harried and frantic and down to the wire. I rarely have plans right after work, so of course, on one of the rare occasions that I do, I find myself dealing with the West Coast on Friday afternoon. Five o’clock came and went, and I was OK with that. I didn’t need to leave until about 5:45.

At 5:30, I was getting a little edgy. The phone finally rang at 5:40. The info from that call was not all I’d hoped. I had to wait for a second call. 5:50. 5:55. Just before 6, the phone rang. Bingo!

I finished a very important email and shut down. By this time, it was almost 6:05. I had already planned to be on the train. The next one was less than 15 minute off. I had to scoot!

I made my destination just minutes before our planned meeting time. I barely got the words “upstairs” out of my mouth at the reception area when one of my friends appeared. Two more would appear an hour and a margarita later.

Let me say this: I hope that everyone has people in their lives for which time just stops the way it does for me with this group. Doesn’t matter if it’s one or two that I get together with, or the whole lot of them, the effects are still the same. I don’t know what I did to get lucky enough to have them, but I’m more grateful for it than I could ever express.

We hit 50 percent, gathering half of our merry band of eight. I was joined by cd, plumbelieve, and the illustrious B (she who gives 867-5309 as her phone number). MonkeyGirl was with her mister for his birthday. (By the way, Happy Birthday Mr. Monkeygirl!) Laura and her husband were at a birthday party. And teacherlady? Well, she’s got some splainin’ to do. She didn’t study on a Friday night all through school. Why now?! And Maria. Here’s hopin’ she was kickin’ it up out west.

I was home before midnight. I was in bed about 30 minutes later. I wouldn’t be there long.

I know I’d mentioned that the mother’s been sick. Well, she’s really sick. I’m really afraid she’s got the bug my assistant had a week ago. It cost me some sleep last night. Between the mother, and Toby the Cat, I had more Margaritas than I got hours of sleep last night.

That’s where the “foiled” part comes in. As I type this, I should be getting dressed. I was supposed to be hangin’ with the MonkeyGirl, MamaMartha, and Harriet at National Scrap Book Day today. Clearly, my plans have changed. (Fate’s really trying my patience here.)

It appears to be all quiet on the eastern front for now. Let’s hope it stays that way.


Jayne said...

It's wonderful to have friends like that, isn't it?! I sure hope your mom is better today.

plumbelieve said...

I hope your mom feels better. We had a nice time last night and these gatherings are definitely too far and few between.

Looking forward to the CD bash.

Karen Anne said...

Hope your Mom is better soon. Being sick is sooo boring, I say sitting here with my eye watering and a large pile of used Kleenex on the floor in the general vicinity of the wastebasket.

MonkeyGirl said...

We missed you today - I have your goodies from today whenever we meet up again. And I missed ya'll last night but I gotta spend some time with the monkeyboy before I ditch him! My not so imaginary friend didn't make it either - I'm starting to think it's me with the bad ju-ju!

Renovation Therapy said...

***I had more Margaritas than I got hours of sleep last night.***

is a brilliant line.

Hope your Mom feels better soon, sick Mommy's are troublesome!

NV said...

Jayne -- It sure is. Don't know what I'd do without them.

PB -- Thank you again!It went all too quickly. Looking forward to next time.

Karen Anne -- Thanks! Hope that you're feeling better, too.

MG -- Thanks, buddy. We missed you, too.

Jean -- Thanks - I have my moments. :-) And thanks for the wishes for the mother.