Thursday, February 5, 2009

Decisions, Decisions -- Delays?

I keep asking myself: How fearless should I be? Just how bad can the economy get? What’s the likelihood that I’ll find myself without a job this year?

None of us want to think about those things, or at least I know that I don’t. But I have to force myself to. It’s time, or soon will be, to start deciding which house projects to take on. There are so many things that I want to do, but after doing some preliminary calculations, I just don’t feel comfortable pursuing most of them. At least not right now.

So I think what I will do is get Lawrence in for some of the smaller projects and to finish up a few things that have just been hangin’ for a while. The unfortunate part in this is that some of these jobs require me to take on things like getting new countertops and putting in backsplash in the kitchen. Then he could put on the new kitchen faucet and sprayer. And, the mother could go ahead and paint/stain the cabinets (we aren’t sure yet) and I could get the new door and drawer pulls on.

The ceiling could wait, if it had to. But then I’d want to get the new appliances we’ve been talking about for months. And before that, I’d want to put in a new floor. Or would I?

Italic
If I do the ceiling in the bathroom (actually before I would) we’d want to rip out the fiberglass tub surround. I want to put tile in it (ideally white subway and the mother is liking black grout) but I’m afraid of what kind of shape the walls behind it are in. So, there I’d be all ready to do one job and get stuck with an even bigger and more expensive one to do before I could continue.

Right now, my gut says to just get the family room in order, finish out the closet trim and other woodwork down there, and then focus on the bedrooms. (The only supplies I’d need are wallpaper paste for both rooms, and some beadboard and chair rail for mine.)

Maybe by the time we’d finish that, I could have a better idea of the long-term and just how much money I could part with and still be OK if the worst happens. It really sucks that it’s this way because I thought maybe, just maybe, this might the year that all of the big stuff could get done. Instead of moving forward at 90 mph like I’m used to doing, I’m practically paralyzed by doubt.

I guess that’s just the way of the world right now as this news would seem to indicate. At least I'm in good company.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go with your gut and do the smaller stuff in the bedroom and family room to start with.

Re: the bathroom, how many bathrooms do you have? i.e., if you did have one ripped up, would you have a second one to use? If not, wait until warmer weather :-)

Jayne said...

I think we're all feeling the same way you are, to one degree or another. On CNN this morning, the woman who does the business report sighed and said, "I hate to have to keep telling you all this bad news..." Gene's advice is great, as always. I'm taking it to heart.

MonkeyGirl said...

I agree with Gene - tackle the stuff you already have all the supplies for (and not the time for) and wait for the other stuff until we know what this economy is going to do.

NV said...

Gene -- Thanks for the affirmation. As for the bathroom, there's just the one. We already know we'll have to make arrangements with friends to stay clean durng that project. :-)

Jayne -- MORE affirmation ... I love it! Makes me feel like I'm really thinking soundly. Thanks.

MG -- The other half of my brain speaketh -- I'm definitely on the right track. :-)