Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Microwave Under the Table

Work geared up in a big way at the end of the day yesterday. (This is good news, though for right now, it adds to the chaos and may cost me the extended holiday vacation time I’d requested. It will also likely cause me to alter my weekend plans.)

The microwave was purchased and the bathroom floor ordered last night. Since we don’t want to put the new microwave out yet with all the work that’s still ahead, right now it is jammed beneath the dining room table, unboxed, and adjacent to the still unboxed 7-ft. pieces of egg and dart molding.

While Pearl wasn’t meant to be a workhorse, she hauled the microwave home. I put plastic and carmats across the backseat since the box was too big to fit in the trunk. (It barely made it through the car door!)

The mother was only able to paint two of the bathroom ceiling tiles yesterday. The tiles are so light and the wind was so rugged, she couldn’t keep them under control. She’s hand-painting these as they will be the same glossy black that is on her bedroom ceiling. If she had been trying to do the kitchen panels, which are being sprayed, she would never even have started. The wind was just too much.

I need to remeasure the kitchen and then figure out how much tile I need and what I need to put it down with. I’m trying to decide if I should start tiling the bathroom the night before Lawrence comes and get to the commode and have him take it up while he’s there, tile that and then put it back before he leaves. Can you put a commode back down onto a recently grouted floor?

Now there’s a question I never thought of before! And, would he be able to put a stepstool on it to take down the overhead light? Hmmm. Logistics, logistics, logistics.

Glad I’m thinking about this stuff now. (You know, as opposed to when I've tiled myself into a corner ... without a crapper.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's OK to put the commode back down on recent grout (recent tile would be a different story). For walking about while the grout is still setting (and for putting up that stepstool), a layer or two of cardboard works nicely to protect things. It's better to let it set completely, but that's not always an option.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the recency of the grout matters, but you don't want to be putting things down on freshly laid tile. That would be bad :)

NV said...

Gene -- Thanks for the, as always, sage wisdom. This kind of tile is a new adventure for me. And of course, means LOTS of work.

Jen -- Um, yeah. I'm learning that. Trying to figure out how we're going to do without facilities long enough to make this happen!