Friday, May 8, 2009

Stormy Weather

The storm clouds have rolled away. They only made a brief appearance, arriving last night around sundown and then disappearing until late morning. And now, the sun is out!

But last night, we had showers, a few brief downpours (very brief), but hours and hours of lightning. I decided to see if I could get anything with the new camera.

Not much. Timing is everything with these kinds of shots as you can see below. If you look just above the weathervane you’ll see a single, fading vein of what had been a rather impressive strike trailing off into the distance.

On this shot, I reacted a split-second too soon. Just as the camera was completing its capture, the whole sky lit up.

It's important to note that this was at 9 something at night, so it was pitch black out. Even so, I didn't get much. This was as close to getting anything as I'd get.

What I found out this morning was that a few hours later, wind ripped roofs off of buildings and leveled some historic shops in a town about 15 miles away. Pretty freaky!

No comments: