Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's Very Sparkly

Looking around the house tonight, I'm reminded of one of my favorite lines in the movie Rainman. It's where Dustin Hoffman describes his potential "date" as being "very sparkly."

This is why it's important to drag out all the decorations first and get them as close to their final destinations as possible before you clean the house. There is glitter, sequins, and all manners of sparkly stuff everywhere. It's on the furniture. It's glazing the floors. It's on our clothes. It's on us.

But, we have a tree up. There are lights on the mantel. And the mother has gone all over putting a touch of holiday flowers and glitz here and there. It's starting to look quite festive.

Outside, both doors now have wreaths. In front, the bare spots between the pots have bricks in place, pots on top, each with one of the sorry ass Martha Stewart trees in it. And you know what? I think I may have to find something else to call them. They actually don't look quite so sorry ass now that they're in place -- even unlit.

Of course, we're getting freezing rain, so the mother insisted that I cover them. Yeah. Don't go there. So I put a small drawstring trash bag over each one until the weather system passes. Ideally, we'll get to finish the rest later this week.

In the meantime, it's clean, clean, clean. I, however, have to go to work tomorrow. Fun times.

3 comments:

MonkeyGirl said...

I wish we were sparkly ;-( Psycho mutt thinks the big tree is a great hiding place and runs under the tree (like I can't see him) so I'm scared to decorate it. Maybe he will calm down in the next couple of days and we can be sparkly too!

Jayne said...

I love that line from "Rainman", too! My house is a little sparkly. I clamped the ornaments on the lower branches of the tree with needle-nose pliers to cat-proof them. There are two little lit trees on the front porch, a wreath (unlit) on the front of the house, and a wreath on the back door.

NV said...

MG -- Yeah, you do have that extra added challenge this year, don't you?! :-) Here's hoping that Coal will behave himself.

Jayne -- Sounds a whole lot like here except our tree is elevated. It's just a matter of watching Toby to be sure that he doesn't start flying at anything!