Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sound Advice in Uncertain Times

I think we’ve all been bombarded with bad news lately. The economy. Plunging home values. The shrinking job market. Violence at home and abroad. It’s virtually inescapable.

If you’re trying to sell your house, the news is likely to remain bad, at least for a while. But, if you’re planning to stay put or are mulling whether to sink some dollars into your current address with an eye to a future sale, now may be the time to stop thinking and start doing.

I came across this article in Money which I think really spells out the good, the bad and the ugly of investing in projects in your home. It talks about how, with other big projects put on hold indefinitely, homeowners are likely to find contractors more readily available – and at palatable rates! Plus, the costs for many building materials are currently on the decline. Because I already have a handyman, that’s music to my ears.

The article is surrounded by a variety of other tips and tools, including a “renovation wizard” that helps guesstimate what kind of return your project could generate.

Some really good information just when we need it most!

5 comments:

Jayne said...

That's some really helpful information, and a bit of much-needed good news.

MonkeyGirl said...

Awesome! My procrastination may have actually paid off this time! I really need to remodel my bathroom.

Liz said...

This is a great post - one that makes me feel much more optimistic about all the work we still have to do!

NV said...

I was pretty pleased to hear about this, too. So glad to have news to share that bodes well for others!

Vicki said...

My tip would be check to make sure that contractor is licensed, or doesn't have a prior record of bad jobs. My mother hired someone to fix her roof and do some other odds and ends and has ended up taking a warrant out for the guy's arrest.