Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Mystery Box

We unwrapped the mystery box tonight. it was bigger than all the lamp boxes put together. And it's not something for upstairs.

It's for the family room.

It's a new mantel for the fireplace. (Also something that was not on my radar screen. But, the price is right, and, once it gets a coat of stain on it, will nicely match the new day bed.)

Forgive the picture quality. And there's too much crap downstairs right now to set it up and do it justice with my own camera.


5 comments:

plumbelieve said...

Hi NV,

This is just beautiful. How do you adhere it to the current front of the fireplace. I typically think of a mantel as being on top only not the sides as well. This is interesting and you learn something new everyday.

Also, I guess it comes in a natural state so you can stain or paint it whatever color you want.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I like it! It's amazing how it transforms the fireplace! I'm trying to remember - is this one of the rooms that's going to have the tin ceiling? At any rate, the way your Mother is going, the inside will eventually become as gorgeous as the outside! Good job!

Why S? said...

That's a beauty! If the weather is trapping you inside, might as well have a fireplace that is lovely while it keeps you warm.

Vicki said...

Ooh, that's beautiful. It makes me want to move to Provence, as if I need any prompting. It may not be provencial, but that's what it makes me think of...

NV said...

PB -- Thanks! I'm not sure yet but I think I will screw it to the wall of the fireplace surround.

Star - Thank you! Yes, I'll be putting up a tintype (though faux) ceiling in the familyroom at some point. yep. That's the mother's goal. She is progressively more pleased with the outside - now she's looking in. :-)

Why -- Yep! That's kind of how we figured it, too. Especially since it will go nicely with the new daybed, once stained.

V -- Thanks! Yeah. there is that as a bonus, huh?!