Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Winter Cottage

Isn't that what it kind of looks like?I shot this while I was waiting for the bus this morning. When I was reviewing the handful of shots I took, that’s how it struck me: a little winter cottage! It was before first light, so it's pretty dark but I think that adds to the winter feel.

It’s supposed to start warming up tomorrow. I’ll believe it when it happens.

It was flurrying this morning and the wind was blowing around a good deal of snow off rooftops and off ungaraged cars where the drivers didn’t bother to push it off. So the snow action is almost as rampant here as in the ones I shot last night. And doesn’t the road look really different from the Tuesday morning shot? You could actually see a road on Tuesday. Not so this morning.

Remember when I said my feet were soaked? Well, here’s why.
As I walked from the porch to the street, the snow was pushing up under my pant legs and jamming into my boots. The process repeated once I reached the sidewalk on the other side. That's where I grabbed this shot. See how deep my prints are?! That's because of not only all the snow we got, but because the snow plow has buried the sidewalks.

Luckily, I remembered to pack a pair of shoes and some dry socks.

When I get home, I'll just go through the same thing all over again in reverse. Unless the snow fairy cleared my drive and walkway ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you got it bad, girl! Now I've got to stop complaining just about it being so cold! I think your storm just missed us and landed on you. Try to stay dry and keep warm. You don't want that monster flu/cold to return! Let's just say it together: WINTER SUCKS!

MonkeyGirl said...

Doh! I knew I should have tried to take a picture of the front of the house last night! Stop hogging the brain!

Karen Anne said...

Here it must have rained buckets, plus my house is at a low point, so I have a rain garden depression thing to channel the water that pours in from all around, but which was blocked by piles of snow, so the water was half way up my boots when I was walking thru the yard.

Heaven only knows what the rain garden looks like hidden under all that water, because I stepped into it when I was doing some shoveling of wet snow, trying to divert some of the water out of the rest of the yard, and my boots came up with this sucking sound.

Winter, very pretty, but I do not love it.
At least I'm not a bird or raccoon trying to live outside in it.

NV said...

Star -- In unison: WINTER SUCKS!:-) Hey, I was glad to see 28 today. Heat wave!

MG -- Yeah, well, you know ...

KarenAnne -- Sheesh! I'd rather have snow than that much rain. Hope you dry out soon.