Saturday, March 21, 2009

Evening

What started out as a gloomy, damp day turned out to be a sunny, pleasant one with a high in the 60s.

The weather made my adventure in unloading the car a whole lot better. I managed to get the 7-footers into the shed. The 8-footers were carted downstairs and piled into the family room. That was a feat in and of itself.

I did some things today and that felt good. I also did a little bit of car maintenance (adding oil and windshield wiper fluid) during which I was outside when the sun was going down. At first, I only glimpsed the dropping sun over the back of the fence.


The sky began to change colors as the sun burned a steady orange/red. It was really beautiful to behold.

As I wrapped up what I was doing and began to put things away, I heard a flock of geese overhead. I was able to snap them as they were trying to get back into their trademark V formation.

The sun was really freaky as it fell. It was SO big. It really did look as if I could touch it if I only walked to the end of the alley.

Something I didn't notice until I had downloaded the photos and then was doing some cropping: one of the neighborhood's menacing cats is in the lower right corner of one of the alley shots.

Little marauder.

It was a good day on many levels.







5 comments:

Why S? said...

Nice. So much nicer than my current view of the Goodyear blimp.

MonkeyGirl said...

I know that you aren't that far away from me, but how on earth do you get those awesome sunset shots? I must live at a slightly higher elevation, because I never see the sun at that angle!

Jayne said...

Beautiful! I was driving home from my brother's house just as the sun set, and the sun looked like it was pausing on the roadway for a moment. (When I first saw the post title, I though maybe you'd rented the Natasha Richardson movie.)

Anonymous said...

Those are simply stunning photos! I particularly love the first one! You're really getting your money's worth out of that new camera!

NV said...

Why -- Oh, I think the blimp would be cool!

MG -- Not sure. One thing, that especially shows in the first shot, is that 10x zoom. It focuses in on the smaller parts that are all lit up with color. And I was using the "sunset" mode, something not on my other camera. Not sure exactly why that makes a difference, but it does.

Jayne -- Wasn't it cool?! I was tempted for a second to walk down the alley, just to see if i COULD touch it! No. The post actually came from someone walking down the alley who gave me a nod and said, "Evenin'" though that movie did cross my mind. It was a good one.

Star -- Thanks! I don't know how many times I've seen stuff and thought "I should get a picture of that." Lately, I've been doing a lot less thinkin' and a lot more shootin'. I am having a BLAST with the new camera.