Monday, October 5, 2009

Dreams

Maybe it was the full moon that faced me high in the sky when I opened the back door to cart out the last of the trash this morning. Maybe it was waking to find the television tuned to an exploration of the Titanic. Or maybe it’s just waking from hours of dreams I can’t remember on a Monday morning, a day that usually finds me moody already.

Whatever it was, it all collectively got me thinking about dreams. Initially, about the dreams of the Titanic’s third-class passengers, many of whom were filled with dreams of a new, better life in America. Dreams that would end abruptly and tragically at the bottom of an ocean almost a century ago.

Then, there’s the American Dream. If you have a job and a home, we’re living it, people! It’s something almost too precious for words. Some of us know the stories behind our homes and my hat’s off to those of you who are digging in search of it. For many of those early occupants, our homes literally were the stuff their dreams were made of.

If you built your home, then you’ve realized a dream. You can appreciate what a true achievement it is.

Far too many people in this world, however, will not only never own a home, they don’t have a roof over their head today. And likely won’t tomorrow. Next week. Next year.

That’s what tomorrow is all about. It’s World Habitat Day and the goal is to bring awareness to the problem of homelessness.

I encourage you to visit the site, write your own post and DO something. Make a donation to a homeless shelter. Sign up as a volunteer. Whatever you do, you’ll help someone get a little bit closer to a dream called home.

3 comments:

Kate R said...

See, this is why you so deserved the “The Honest Scrap” award. Very well said!

Debra said...

What a lovely post.

Being a genealogy researcher like myself, you probaly think about what our ancestors must have went through too. Since my ancestors came from Scotland & Ireland, I always think of the movie 'Far Away' when I picture in my head what it was like for them.

I'm so nostalgic when it comes to Titanic movies. I have at least 5 different versions on tape... one was made in the 1920's I believe. It's totally black and white and no sound.

I will try to get to that site this evening... so many things going on at all times these days!

NV said...

Kate -- Thank you! Reminders like this keep me humble. I b*tch mightily about this house and yet there are people who will NEVER have their own home.

Debbie -- Thanks! I DO think about that -- a lot. Have you ever seen Godfather II? There's a scene in the beginning when the Godfather comes to America as a child and all the people on the ship look adoringly at the Statue of Liberty. Seen that movie a billion times and I still tear up on that one.