Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ready. Set. BAKE!

What did people ever do before the Internet? I know what we might be doing without it: no pumpkin pie, no roasted turkey. For days now, we've looked EVERYWHERE for the manual.

Granted, some of it seems pretty self-explanatory. But, this newfangled gadget has all kinds of features that I don't even have a clue how to use. With the rest of the kitchen pretty well torn up, we've not really worried all that much about trying to cook. But with Thanksgiving, the Super Bowl of eating, how can you get around it? Well, since this is the holiday where we don't travel all over God's green earth, there is no way around it.

Learn to operate the d*mn thing. Or starve. And with a ginormous bird thawing in the fridge as we speak, starving is NOT an option.

While I didn't find the exact manual for our new stove, at Frigidaire.com I think I found the one for its "next generation" model so those directions speak directly to my stove, too. Looks like I'll be hitting the kitchen later tonight to whip up some pumpkin pies.

And then, sometime tomorrow morning, I'll be doing the annual Tom Tussle whereby I prep, wash and wrangle a big-a** bird into the oven. And then ...

E-A-T!

Or, as Young Tom, my grandfather, used to say: "You can call me anything you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure you'll do fine. And if not, there's always Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra!

Kate R said...

I have every confidence that you'll do just fine! Happy Thanksgiving to you & the mother.

sewwhat? said...

New ovens work just like old ovens, just don't use the convection feature! Use it like an old fashioned oven! Try out the convection part one something not quite as vital as the Thanksgiving turkey! I had a Kenmore Elite for 5 years and never did use the convection feature!

NV said...

V -- That cracked me up. The Chinese restaurant we love would have been happy to see us, I'm sure!

Kate -- Thanks. Right back atcha!

sewwhat -- Yeah. I can't quite figure out how to "convection bake." Yet ...