Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Special Day

Without this date, I wouldn’t be here. It’s the mother’s birthday.

The mother is a pre-Boomer, born right in the middle of the war. Fate’s a strange thing. I guess it’s a good thing that the military deemed Young Tom “too old” to enlist at age 41 or he might have been overseas … and the mother would never have been. And by default, neither would I
!
Trying to buy things for the mother is d*mn near impossible. I’ve got a relatively good record, last Christmas not withstanding. (I bought her some jewelry she didn’t like. Oh well. I’m taking possession of it as she didn’t bother to tell me this until way past a time when I could have returned it.)

This year, I opted to not even try. She and I talked about it and about Christmas and decided that what is going into the house is enough for both of us. We usually get things we want (within reason) year round, so it’s not that big a deal.

But the one thing we always do for a birthday, pretty much without fail, is go out to eat. The mother has decided that she wants TGI Friday’s so that is what she shall have. I guess I’ll have to force myself to eat fajitas. Ouch!

We’re also going shopping so I’m sure I’ll end up buying her something. And that will be cool. No chance of getting something she doesn’t want.

It’s going to be an extra treat, too, as it’s supposed to be 74 degrees. That’s right. 7-4. In November. I love it.

8 comments:

plumbelieve said...

Happy Birthday to the Mother. Enjoy your dinner out!

MonkeyGirl said...

Wish the Mother a Happy Birthday for me. It is a beautiful day to take Pearl out and about!

Kate R said...

Happy Birthday to the Mother from me, too! TGIF is one of our favorites also. Enjoy!

karen said...

Try TGI'Fridays. Jack Daniels Chicken Alfedo. It is so good. I think it is called that. It is chicken , noodles and little cherry tomatoes in Jack Daniels suace. I love it. I crave it. Must be the Jack.
Have fun.

Why S? said...

I missed it by a few hours but I hope both you and the Mother enjoyed a wonderful birthday date.

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday to the Mother! I hope y'all had a great day.

NV said...

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I think the mother had a good day. I know that Pearl and I did. It was hard not to, courtesy of Mother Nature!

Mama Martha said...

The weather was glorious this weekend! Wish the Mother a belated happy b-day from me!