Monday, August 4, 2008

Farewell, Old Friends

Today is trash day at This D*mn House. And, amid the castaway items are two old friends: my tennis shoes, sometimes known as my "yard shoes." We've been through a lot together in the past two summers.

They held up well, in spite of my constant abuse (by walking on the backs of them), and I got more than my $3-$4 investment 10 times over. Made me feel a little guilty as I unceremoniously tossed them into a bag yesterday. (You know how I am about turning loose of things that perform well above expectations, ie., the water heater.)

They started out on yard duty at the start of last summer. They kept right on working with me through the fall as the house got painted. They stood their ground even in snow on wintry trash days. They kept on going, albeit, a little more raggedy, as work heated up on the porch this year.

But, there comes a point when enough is enough. And these poor tennies ... well, they were past that point. So thanks for the mileage, old pals. These new flip-flops just aren't the same ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You wore those things out. Was it not uncomfortable to walk on the backs?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and good for you for purging! You know how I feel about that :)

Ann said...

Ah yes, you told us of your heel-walking and your poor, abused feet as a result. PROOF positive. RIP good shoes, good soldiers...

NV said...

Thanks, ladies! Yes, RIP old shoes. I already hate the replacements. :-)