Saturday, August 16, 2008

Keepin' the Faith?

I'm discouraged. I spent nearly 12 hours outside today, busting my hump, and I'm not feeling very good about what I have to show for it.

To be sure, Lawrence showed up on time and the porch railing is up. I now have a new project in finding something to put on the posts before attaching the finials. (I think I solved that: bullseye. Perfection. Square to cover the post. Round to accent the finial! I think they come in a 4x4 size.)

After all the digging, I finally got to gravel and sand in the mudpit today. My hope was that I would be finished, if not well on my way to completing, the first third of the walkway. I don't even have a row done.

First, I grossly miscalculated how much materials I would need other than brick. Second, my running bond pattern going vertically just would not work out no matter how I tried. I'm going back to the drawing board on that one.

If I owned a white flag, I might wave it. I'm tired and sore and I'm just so fed up I want to quit. Unfortunately for me, quit is a four-letter word and not part of my vocabulary. Assuming that I can get out of bed tomorrow (by my estimation, I've moved over a half-ton of materials today, nearly double that if you count some of the multiple times moving it.)

I really want to go all Rhett Butler and just say: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." What I'll actually do instead is steal one of Scarlett's lines and just say: "Tomorrow is another day ..."

8 comments:

Jayne said...

Honey, you are just one person. And you do the work of three. At least three. With sore wrists and bloody fingers and exhausted body, you just keep toiling away at this amazing pace that makes the rest of us tired just reading about it. So it's okay to be discouraged now and then. Temporarily overwhelmed, even. You've taken on a LOT. You still have a ways to go. But look at ALL that you've accomplished lately--WOW! Give yourself permission to rest now and then. It'll all be there tomorrow. MonkeyGirl, if you're reading this, kidnap this girl and take her out for some fun that has nothing to do with bricks and power tools. K?

Ann said...

I can think of a few other four letter words you could let fly right now. Dang, I'm thinking of all those Olympians right now and their physical activity, eating 10,000 calories a day. I swear to god, this house stuff should be a competitive event - you moved a 1/2 ton of crap today! If that isn't gold-medal worthy, what is? The frickin' javelin? Gimme a break!

MonkeyGirl said...

Jayne - trust me if I thought I could drag her away from the bricks I would! She has the determination of 100 when she sets her mind to something but I will have to rely on my devious side to get her out from under the bricks.
NV- my offer still stands, if you need help, you know that I'm just a bridge or two away!

NV said...

Jayne -- Thanks so much for the concern and encouragement! MG is right. I'm on a schedule unfortunately and if Mother NAture changes her mind, I'm sunk. So I push onward. In a much better state of mind today, thanks! :-)

Ann - I love it! Olympians ... wimps!

MG -- THANK YOU! I know you would do just what Jayne said if you didn't know what I was up against. I may ask for some vehicular assistance. I am needing a lot more gravel than I thought and Bessie can only hold so much at a time.

Why S? said...

Aren't you supposed to be resting those wrists? You're making me scared. Or maybe I'm just such a big wimp in comparison. Really, your strength and determination are amazing.

Vicki said...

OK, I'm amazed at how you always find a four letter word to fit what you're talking about. That's talent...no cool (a four letter word, not clever, but still four letters).

It will all get done. And if it doesn't well, done is a four letter word anyway (which I think you've mentioned before).

NV said...

Why -- Trying to rest the wrists in between bouts. You're not a wimp. I'm just insane. :-)

V -- Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm beginning to believe again that it will get done. And love that you picked up on the four-letter obsession. I've said quite a few of them the last few days!

Ty'sMommy said...

Awwww, you just quoted my favorite movie of all time! I've gotta side with Jayne on this one -give yourself some credit - you're doing great!