Thursday, August 7, 2008

Off To a Bad Start

Apologies first to those who check in early each morning expecting to find a post. Or, those who check in mid-day expecting an update since last night. Sadly, you did not find one. To steal a line from Dangerous Liaisons: “It’s beyond my control.” (Not sure why that bit of imagery popped into my head as I thought about "circumstances beyond my control," but it did. LOVE that movie and its companion piece, Valmont.)

You know those days where it just doesn’t pay to get out of bed? This is turning out to be one of them. So, to pay homage to another flick, if my life ever ends up as Groundhog Day, PLEASE don’t let this be the day.

I had a nice little photo to share this morning, but the home computer decided it just wasn’t happening. And then Blogger wouldn’t save, so the accompanying text went to an early cybergrave. That’s how my day started.

It didn’t get any better from there. In the course of about 10 minutes, I managed to:

  • Spill catfood gravy all over my pajama top
  • Dump half the contents of a brand new shampoo bottle into the tub while showering
  • Explode a travel-sized toothpaste tube over the shirt I had planned to wear to work

On the way to work, a file I’d been working on since yesterday inexplicably crashed. Gone. Go back to square one. Like I was saying, great day!

However, I was VERY thrilled to find that some of you seem to have enjoyed Wordle as much as I did. Thanks for leaving me comments and links to your creations. I had fun viewing them. And since fate decided to kill my intended entry, I’ll use this as an opportunity to try and help those of you who want to keep your Wordle images digitally.

Luckily, I recently had an incident at work where I needed to save a screenshot so I could explain the error message I was getting to someone in IT. These instructions are very helpful.

What I did next: I saved the screenshot as a jpeg file and then edited it like I would any other photo, cropping out the rest of the computer page you get in the screenshot. Then, if you want, you can even use it in your blog – as long as you credit Wordle.net.

Hope this works for you! Or, if someone knows an easier way, I am a perpetual student. Good luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogger is eating my comments. And what I originially said is lost. And I was commenting about I hate having to rewrite things. It's never as good.

I was going to say that I hate having everything go wrong at the same time. I'm not good at coping with it all at once.

NV said...

Thanks, V! You are SO right. Sometimes, a whole bunch of little things is worse than one big one. Other times, I just have to remind myself how good I actually have it. It's easy to forget some days.