Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Friends Dig Me

Or, more accurately, my friends dig for me. CD met me at Lowe's as planned early this morning and we proceeded to load up her SUV with gravel and some boards for a future project.

The day got off to an awesome start. We were just talking about Home Depot vs. Lowe's and I was telling CD about how much more generous Lowe's is. Almost as if they heard me, I was handed a $10 off coupon as soon as we walked through the door! Then getting to chat over a brief breakfast with one of my nearest and dearest was a treat.

Unloading was fun. (A half-ton of gravel in total.) CD got to see the infamous cart and appreciate its infinite value. She came to love it even more when, after we unloaded, she was determined to pitch in on the mudpit. "I'm ready to work," she said. And work she did. We toted some of the dirt out back to fill in where the newly departed tree once stood. The rest was dump-bound. CD's plans before picking up her young'ns had included a trip to the Y. After hanging out with me, she didn't need it.

Following her efforts at helping me clear the second third of the mudpit, the ever adventurous CD asked: "So where's the dump?" We loaded up her SUV and headed across town. (That gave us another chance to visit, too. How is it that when friends come to my house, we inevitably end up at the dump?!)

If anyone had ever told me I'd live long enough to see CD dig dirt, much less head to a dump, I'd have said they were nuts. But hey, she's a DIYer in her own right. She's been busy at home with her own projects. I've even witnessed her using a drill -- but on a pumpkin. I've got the picture to prove it, too.

By the time Chris left, a massive debris pile was gone and the second third of the mudpit was nearly cleared! I shaved the edges to finish them out, added my landscape forms and began filling with gravel. I was nearly done filling it with gravel when the sky got really cloudy. So, we started putting things away, cleaning up, and covered the gravel pit. Done by 3:30, so it wasn't nearly as long of a day. But it was a very productive one. And one I can't thank CD enough for all the help with. You really did help move things along.

Surveying today's progress left me feeling pretty good.

I then got cleaned up and attempted to get the car headlight fixed. But that's for another post.

Right now, I'm a little sore. Yesterday and today's hefting are catching up with me. So, I'm going to do what any self-respecting DIYer would do: take a nap.

7 comments:

MonkeyGirl said...

Please, oh please tell me that you took a picture of CD digging in the mudpit! What kind of outfit to do you wear to a mud pit party?

NV said...

MG -- Sadly, no. She might have clobbered me. :-)

Jennifer said...

Have fun with that nap! And I, too, am disappointed in the lack of mud pit pictures... you still have 1/3 left, so no slacking! :)

CD said...

NKV must be superhuman. I haul a 40lb 5 year old and 60lb Golden Retriever around frequently with no problem. I go to the Y five days a week. Nothing prepared me for working with NKV. She throws around these buckets of dirt like they're 5lb bags of flour. She walked circles around me. For every shovel of dirt I had, she produced 4. I only worked for 2 hours and Tylenol is my best friend today. When this project is finished, I'm taking NKV for a manicure and pedicure if she has any fingers left.

Anonymous said...

I thought you sounded superhuman N. Now I know...

I need to find me one of those diggin' friends, but more like a weedin' friend. That might be a tougher order!

NV said...

Jennifer -- The mudpit isn't really that exciting. Now if we drove a few golfcarts into it ...

Ann -- My ass, and the rest of me, could do with some serious pampering. I'll be hibernating for at least some of the winter so I can hold out 'til then.

CD -- You're so silly. You were flinging buckets and bags right along with me. And believe me, Tylenol and I are very well acquainted. Thank you again for all your help. It's much appreciated.

kspin -- Nah, I'm not superhuman. Just superdetermined. Good luck with that weedin' thing. Maybe you could recruit my mother. I've never met anyone more obsessed with weeds.

NV said...

Jennifer -- The mudpit isn't really that exciting. Now if we drove a few golfcarts into it ...

Ann -- My ass, and the rest of me, could do with some serious pampering. I'll be hibernating for at least some of the winter so I can hold out 'til then.

CD -- You're so silly. You were flinging buckets and bags right along with me. And believe me, Tylenol and I are very well acquainted. Thank you again for all your help. It's much appreciated.

kspin -- Nah, I'm not superhuman. Just superdetermined. Good luck with that weedin' thing. Maybe you could recruit my mother. I've never met anyone more obsessed with weeds.