Sunday, August 3, 2008

Take THAT, Mother Nature!


Mother Nature -- Look lady, you've really been pushin' my buttons this summer. But, you can slow me down, you can knock me down, you can even occasionally get me down. But you'll never keep me there ... for long.

But hey, in spite of your best shot, I still get to say four words I NEVER thought I'd be able to in the same sentence: THE PORCH IS DONE!

Mother Nature tried to drown out my joy over FINISHING THE PORCH by not letting me start my walkway this morning. I napped instead. I did a brief happy dance this morning before I covered it, after ensuring that the last bricks had set up.

I didn't wake up very invigorated from my nap, but returned to the mud pit and started digging. (Yesterday's heat took its toll, combined with having the thumbs and index fingers on both hands bloody and raw because at some point, I never put gloves back on. Have you ever tried to do anything with FOUR BAND-AIDS on? It doesn't work very well.)

I took out 60 gallons of dirt and debris before calling it a day. Unfortunately, it was a relatively small dent in what needs to come out. While I was working, Mean Old Man (he from my near throwdown episode) walked by. He stayed on the other side of the street though and didn't even look my way. Smart man.

When I came in a few hours ago, I called Lawrence. He's got a dicey week ahead, so we're tentatively on for Friday to finish the fence. Here's hoping!

5 comments:

Jayne said...

WHOO-HOO!! The porch is done!! Now on to conquer the walkway! The heat's terrible, isn't it? Be careful out there and drink lots of fluids.

NV said...

Thanks, Jayne! Hoping to get yard mowed tonight since Mother Nature did manage to keep me from getting to that this weekend.

Ty'sMommy said...

Good show, NV! I was worried about us yesterday with Mother Nature raining on our parade. You did betetr than I did. I more or less sat around all day and played with my new collection of beads. :)

Ann said...

I think Mean Old Man is still hurtin' from his well deserved ass-whippin'. He'll come by again - and this time perhaps with a bit of grace on his tongue.

Happy Dancing for the done-ness!!!

NV said...

Tysmom- That's OK. You know what they say about all work and no play ...

Ann -- We'll have to see what mean old man has to say when the walkway gets in! And yes, happy dancin' now with the little energy I have left 'cause the yard is mowed!