Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Two Cents: DAP Caulk Products

Winter is upon us! And while the calendar still says that, technically at least, it’s fall, the time to get weatherizing is now.

I took advantage of some unseasonably warm weather in the past few weeks to do just that, using a few different products from DAP. Sealing out the cold is a great way to increase energy efficiency and to just plain old stay warm.

I used bright white DAP Dynaflex 230®, a latex sealant that can be used indoors or out, to do a bit of sealing around doors and windows. Weatherizing is important, too, especially on outdoor surfaces, so I also used it to seal up some gaps around the wood frames I’d placed around the posts recently added to our deck. The caulk went on smoothly and evenly and was a snap to clean up.


Next up, I used the clear version of DAP®3.0™ sealant to fill in some gaps on the storage shed. I chose this as a test because the shed gets hit with all of the weather changes. And since it’s a place I hope to keep dry, I thought it would be the perfect test site for this product in particular. Why?
While it takes 24 hours to completely cure, it can be exposed to water (i.e. rain) in as little as THREE hours. This was a major plus for me as I applied it on the last dry day before an evening thunderstorm touched off an entire week of rainy days! It claims to be applicable in “all weather and sub-zero applications.”

While I can’t attest to the sub-zero part, I can tell you that this stuff sets up quick. It was rained on within less than five hours of its application and when I checked on it the next day – during which it continued to rain – it remained just as smooth as when I’d applied it. No wash-off!

DAP®3.0™ sealant is paintable (with latex paint), won’t shrink or crack and is both mold and mildew resistant. (Again, we’ll follow up on this in the spring.)

Both products are available in colors (3.0 in clear or white only) and cost between $4 and $5 a tube. While that’s a little pricier than the average caulk, so far I’ve found them to be worth it. They’re available at most hardware and discount stores. To get more information on home weatherization, visit http://www.sealyourhome.info/.

Full Disclosure: I accepted an offer to join the DAP Weatherization Team and as a result, received the products described above for evaluation. I did not receive any additional compensation for participating.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Great review! Thanks!

karen said...

Thanks for the info. I hate reg. caulk it is messy and hard to use.

MonkeyGirl said...

Thanks for the tips - I will pass them along to Mr. Monkeygirl. He won't let me play with his toys ;-(!

elaine said...

Great review. You're industrious as all get-out, cold or no!

Kate R said...

I guess I need to invest in a good caulk gun. Mine is a cheapie & I haven't used it in ages because it's so difficult to work with. When I painted the exterior of my house this past year, I used the kind of caulk that you just hand-squeeze out of the tube. At the time, I was only concerned with filling cracks & holes in the portion of the T1-11 siding and trim. I wasn't even thinking of weatherizing around windows & doors - DUH!

I'm definitely going to have to check this stuff out at my local hardware stores.