Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Look Back

I've had to remind myself a number of times already that today is the last day of the year. It hardly seems possible. Add to that, it's already going to be 2010! To think just 10 short years ago we were partyin' like it was 1999. Amazing.


It's been a big year at This D*mn House, even with all of the house projects aside. There were a lot of comings and goings just within our family. Our long-standing furfiend Tigger died at the end of March and my great-uncle Bill followed suit not long after.


Pearl arrived at the beginning of May and it would be hard to begin to describe the joy that has added to my life. And in July and September respectively, two of my nearest and dearest became grandmothers. (In spite of the fact that we are MUCH too young for such things.) Can't wait to see new photos next weekend!!!
July also brought a baby to our house -- yet another of the furry variety. Taz, the abandoned kitten, joined our clan. She would be part of both the coming and goings for the year, going to live with a new family in November where I am pleased to report she is much loved and very happy.
September also saw something I'd been trying to accomplish for the mother for three years: meeting Chris Botti. In November, I marked a first by going to a hockey game for the first time.

WOW! And those are just some of the things that happened this year.

Until I started putting this post together, even I had failed to completely appreciate what a big year it's been. The most important thing though is that, in spite of a year that has been so devastating for some, I've managed to remain employed, the mother and I have been healthy (well, relatively), and things under the roof at This D*mn House are safe and sound.

My dear friend CD will definitely appreciate this summary for '09:
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
But still I'm cool. (She's) cool.
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
Life's been good to me so far. -- Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good"

Yup. All in all, I've got to say it was a pretty good year.

Coming next: The year in review from the DIY perspective.

3 comments:

Kate R said...

Quoting Joe Walsh - another reason to love this blog! I may have even had that album on 8-track tape.

Vicki said...

It's neat to look back with you and remember those things through what you have written here. Here's to a good 2009 :)

NV said...

Kate -- THANKS! We aim to please. :-) CD and I used that quote on our yearbook page.

Vicki -- Aw thanks! You, too.