Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Nip It in the Bud

When it comes to illness, I think the worst thing that can plague you is vomiting. Second only to that is a sore throat. In my book, either of those are sufficient grounds for a whin-o-rama.
Last night, I came close to suffering both.

I’ve been congested for weeks after suffering whatever that bug was a while back. The cough and congestion have gotten worse in the last week or so and yesterday, the sore throat arrived. It was accompanied by an unbearable tenderness on my right neck. It also came with nasty-colored goop gathering in and draining from both my throat and nose. And, I was running a temp of about 100. All things point to: another sinus infection. Ugh! D*mn! Can I not stop getting these already? Sheesh.

So, I kept pouring hot tea down. I popped Tylenol and a leftover antibiotic, put ear drops in both ears (because they had started in by this time), took a hot shower and was in bed more than an hour earlier than usual. I repeated the cycle today (adding hot soup to the line-up) and all seems MUCH better. No more sore throat, the ears are behaving again and the neck tenderness is all but gone. And I’m going to bed early, tonight, too!

I tried to call my allergist to see if he’d get me more antibiotics for the long weekend but haven’t had any luck reaching anyone. I’ll keep trying AND we’ll see if I have successfully stopped this thing from going down the nastiest of roads. Here’s hoping.

6 comments:

Marley said...

Oh, I hope you did get it 'nipped', cause being sick at this time of year is the worst! Well, anytime it stinks, but anyway! I hope you are all better soon!

Why S? said...

So sorry. What a way to spend New Year's. If you can't reach your allergist, you should consider going to an Urgent Care Center. Seriously. Don't mess around with this.

Jayne said...

I agree with Why S--hie thee to an Urgent Care Center before it gets worse! Hope you get better soon.

Kate R said...

Ditto what they said ;-)

Vicki said...

Have we talked about the Neti pot before? My husband would get one or two bad sinus infections a year. He started using the Neti Pot several years ago and I don't think he's had one. It would definitely be worth it to eliminate the pain, drainage and craptastic feeling.

StuccoHouse said...

Ugh. I get those too. Someone already mentioned the neti pot. Do any of the Docs near you treat with sublingual drops? - that's what finally did the trick for me :)