Friday, December 11, 2009

St. Louis Sunrise

It didn't take long.

The first glimpses of the morning sky greeted me as I headed to my office. I barely had time to grab the camera before the metamorphosis that turns night into day began turning it on in a big, big way.

First, it was subtle glimpses of the dawn to come as the first colors began to blaze in the sky.
Then, they began to march under the arch, filling in beneath it almost entirely. (This is truly one of the only consolations for me during December. It's the only time of year one can catch an awesome sight like this.)

And then, color meets light as daybreak occurs.


It's a cloudy morning, so we don't get the full benefit of the sun. It never makes a grand entrance in its most complete form. But it sure lets you know that it's there just the same. And then ...

It's gone. The colors begin to settle and fade ...

Good morning, St. Louis. It's a brand new day.

6 comments:

Kate R said...

My dad used to always say his favorite color was "Sky blue pink". The pink in these photos is awesome!

sewwhat? said...

Reminds me of an Advent song that is my favorite--As the Watchman waits for the dawn, so do I long for you, My God! Beautiful pictures, you have such a great vantage point! Some joys to getting to work early!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love skies like this! Your photos are wonderful! Keep taking them! :)

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I love the progression of these pictures. And I love dawn, but only in photos because I can't manage to get out of bed that early. :-)

Vicki said...

That pinkish red is AMAZING!! Great job capturing that, and you're right, it does make December worth it :)

NV said...

Thanks, everyone. I felt SO privileged getting to watch this develop. I knew as soon as I saw the first glints I was in for something special.