Monday, November 3, 2008

Bright, Sunshiny Day

Man. Why can’t it stay this way year-round? (I know. I'm starting to sound like I'm stuck on repeat.) But it was so beautiful over the weekend! And while it’s just over 50 and the dew is very thick this morning, I’ll still take it. It’s going to be 75 or more again today – not early November weather at all. I’m lovin’ it.

Except for feeling like someone kicked the hell out of me, I feel pretty good for a Monday. I think part of it is the satisfaction of knowing that the shrubs from Hell have made my life miserable for the last time. Believe me, there’s a lot to be said for that. I couldn’t help but grin at the front of the house as I left today. The bare dirt spots will be gone soon enough and the front of the house will finally be done. (At which point I can officially update the This D*mn House photo.)

The bus was practically curb service this morning. It’s being rerouted right down my street for the foreseeable future (and I’ve heard upwards of two years) because of overpass construction on its normal route. It started at the end of last week and today was my first day to try it from home, instead of driving to the depot (where I know exactly when it leaves.) I literally walked across the street and about 25 feet to the corner. A few minutes later, there it was! If I weren’t already a rabid supporter of mass transit, it would be hard to not become a converted commuter with this kind of convenience.

Tonight, I should even be able to get out on my side of the street – no four lanes of traffic to cross. This has the potential to be a very good thing with winter coming.

The mother’s Sound Dock arrived safely on Friday. Now I’m just hoping that the adapter arrives in time. (Even though I chose expedited service, it’s coming USPS. Yeah. Snail mail. Damn.) So, cross your fingers!

This morning's good feeling may also be in knowing that this is a short week. (I’m taking the mother’s birthday off on Friday.) Unfortunately, it’s supposed to be much cooler by then – more typical November – but as of this morning, they’re saying it will be dry. Here’s hoping. Who knows what, if anything, she’ll want to do.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I love the amazing weather. Can't wait to see new pictures of the house! What will go in the bushes' places?

Enjoy your mass transit gift...That will be a great thing come winter!

Ronnica said...

That's great that public transportation is so convenient. We have some here, but I live far enough out that it would take me 2 or 3 buses to get to work.

Thanks for your comment on my post about Christians voting pro-choice. It was a difficult subject, but one that has troubled me so I felt like I must post that series.

In response to your comment, I do believe in separation of church and state. However, the actual wording in the constitution is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." That's a far cry from what many think it says (that religion should have no influence on the government). The founding fathers were concerned about freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Ann said...

Nice on the curb-side pick up, SCORE!

NV said...

V -- Did you see all those bricks piled up in the most recent house shot (Halloween decorations)? They're a part of the plan. I'm not real clear on the end result yet. As for the bus, OMG! Awesome getting let off RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE at night. Don't have to cross four lanes of traffic either!

Ronnica -- Yeah, doesn't sound like mass transit would work for you. It's not an option for everyone.

If only our current legislators had half the brains of the founding fathers ...

Ann -- I know! And with winter coming, it's like winning a mini-lottery. :-)