Friday, November 7, 2008

Not the Ideal Birthday

First, I missed the call. (I was in a meeting.) It came much later than I would have guessed because the mother is sick. Yes, sick. There should be a law against being sick on your birthday. And on Thanksgiving, too. (I got food-poisoned once a day or so before T-giving and it was one of the most depressing holidays ever as a result.)

The bug that we've both been trying to get all week apparently hit her hard overnight. She was up and down most of the night (I only heard her a time to two; it's not that unusual, so I didn't think anything of it.) I took a nap earlier and I now feel worse than I did before I laid down. Ugh.

She did open her present. She was impressed. And I did get the speech about not buying anything. The sad part: It still sits inside its box, unopened. That tells me just how sick she is. Under ordinary circumstances, she'd have met me at the door this afternoon, bugging me to set it up before I could even put my stuff down.

It was cold, windy, and gray, too, so even if she had felt a bit better this evening, she probably wouldn't have wanted to venture out.

The forecast now calls for more wind (up to 35 mph gusts) and highs in the low 40s tomorrow. Not very conducive for the outdoor things I want to do. Guess I'll push those to Sunday when the wind should dissipate and the temp goes up just a few more degrees (to around 46).

Bummer.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that your mom's sick--and on her birthday, too. You're right, there oughta be a law. Well, along with happy birthday wishes I'll send wishes for a speedy recovery, too. (And for you, too, sounds like you might be sick next.)

Liz said...

Your poor mom! I hope you both are feeling better soon. And a big "amen" on the weather - we're getting the same junk in Wisconsin...along with some snow. :(

NV said...

Jayne -- Thank you! I feel so bad for her. The Bose is STILL boxed up.

Liz -- Thanks! And snow?! Oh. My. God. I can't even bear to think about that!

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday to your mom and hope she feels better soon!

Ty'sMommy said...

Awww that really stinks! I hope she is feeling better today.

Ann said...

Your poor Mom! It's awful to be sick on your birthday. What a rip-off, man!