Monday, November 17, 2008

Some Days You’re the Dog

Brrr. Even though it’s around 40 degrees this morning, I’m quite cold. That’s due in large part to this bus which is like sitting inside a refrigerator. At least having the computer in my lap generates some heat and helps a little.

It probably doesn’t help that I’m a little more than grumpy considering that I only got a few hours of sleep last night courtesy of Toby the Cat. I’ve never been inclined to willfully harm an animal in my life, but during the past five hours or so, I’ve thought about it – many times.
He screamed all night. Screamed. And screamed. No amount of food or comforting seemed to quiet him, at least not for very long. And of course his timing is perfect.

I was already tired. I spent the afternoon picking up leaves and determining that my plan for the columns on the porch was not going to work. Back to the drawing board on that one.

The leaf job was a lot more time-consuming than I anticipated, so it was all I could do to finish it before dark and still give myself enough time to load the car and drive across town to the dump before it closed at 5:30. (That’s actually a rough estimation of time, too, because the attendant is usually at the gate, ready to close it, by 5:20. So, if you aren’t inside at 5:20, you aren’t getting in.)

Then, the mother and I carried Christmas presents downstairs to the spot we’d cleared for them Saturday night. I unboxed the new super-duper Shop Vac I bought a few weeks ago and then carted out all of the excess trash so it wouldn’t be there for me to deal with this morning. Fun times.

So I’m tired, sore, cold and I just can’t wait to get to work. Yes, there’s a nice pile of dung lingering from Friday just waiting to greet me. Some days you’re the dog. Some days you’re the hydrant.

Today, I’m clearly the hydrant.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

some days you're the dung beetle

MonkeyGirl said...

Good luck at work this week. I will relinquish as much of the brain as I can. Somehow, I don't have warm fuzzies 'bout this week and that is unusual for me. e's hope that I am just wrong!

Karen Anne said...

Why might Toby be upset? Is there an intruder neighborhood kitty outside at night?

Karen Anne said...

Or some reason he doesn't feel well?

Ann said...

What is UP with the Toby? I hear a valium prescription in his future...

NV said...

The Toby apparently ate some of the ribbon he was playing with last night.

Let's just say it went in a lot easier than it came out.

He's a little quieter tonight. Let's hope it stays that way.

Vicki said...

I think you need to open your valves and let off some steam shall we say at all the dogs pissing on you. Might not solve anything though...