Thursday, November 27, 2008

Grateful

This D*mn House. Yes, I swear at it. I complain about it. Sometimes, I even dread dealing with it. But it's ours. Be it ever so humble, it's paid for -- at a time when so many people have lost or about to lose their homes. And many others never had one in the first place.

And I am grateful.

I am blessed to have people (including a few with fur) who love me. I have more than enough food to eat, plenty of clothes to wear and a good job that makes it all possible.

And I am grateful.

I whine and bitch and swear so much sometimes that you'd never think this was the case at all. Then something happens that jolts me into reality. It makes my complaints so petty.

Last week, I received an email from a social worker. One line burned itself into my psyche: Basics – a warm sweater, a new pillow, a warm blanket, are luxuries for so many. Some of the things that most of us take for granted, denied. For a handful of individuals, I have the opportunity to help remedy this, at least for a time.

And I am grateful.

On this, a day when we give thanks for having so many blessings in our own lives, I humbly ask you to not only remember those less fortunate, but to do something on their behalf. I know times are tough and it's hard to make the stretch.

I also know that so many of you have hearts more than large enough to accommodate such a gesture so you'll honor my request.

And I am grateful.

Have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a happy Holiday also!

Why S? said...

I am grateful for this holiday because it's the one day of the year specifically designed so that the many of us who have so much will remember the many who have so little.

Have a great holiday yourself!

Fred said...

Most of us in the U.S. are so blessed. We picked up another child to sponsor just this month. It's amazing how much of a difference a small amount of our income can make to a third-world community.

Thanks for the post, and the reminder of how great we all have it.

Vicki said...

Happy Thanksgiving! You're so right about helping others. It opens our eyes and keeps us grounded and truly thankful for what we've got. It seems like you've been particularly affected lately. I know you'll be blessed by the help that you're giving.

NV said...

Thanks, everyone! Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet...thanks for the reminder of the important things that I sometimes take for granted. Happy Thanksgiving!

sewwhat? said...

Don't forget your local food pantries--they are filling many needs this year. If you have an extra few bucks, or even if you can scrape up some extra cans of nourishing food, they and their clients all will appreciate it! Our needs are usually really wants, but their needs are often a matter of life and death.

NV said...

kspin -- We ALL take our blessings for granted at some point -- 'til something makes us take pause. glad to be a pause for you! :-)

sewwhat -- You are *SEW* right! support your local drives! Or get your family or workmates to do a collection!