We talked for about an hour. It was mostly chit-chat conversation during which I learned quite a few things. Chiefly:
- There is an 11-year age difference. (And I'm not going all Demi Moore either. I'm the younger one.)
- He went to the Catholic grade school by my house, a school I attended for a few years as well.
- He is the third of seven children. He lives in a neighboring town (which I knew) on 16 acres (which I didn’t.)
- He is divorced. Has a grown son (in Florida) and a mostly grown daughter (19 in college in Wisconsin).
- He “retired” from the mill after getting injured a few years ago. (I didn’t ask for details.) So apparently he doesn’t work. (And he's several years from full retirement age.) Weird.
- He has a master’s degree. He went back to school at age 31 and stayed with it through a master’s program.
He apologized for the "odd approach" but said he didn’t want to impose while I was working as he certainly wouldn’t want anyone to impose on him under similar circumstances. He said he didn’t send me his phone number initially because he thought it might be “too forward” and “creepy” to do that. “So I thought I would just go for the old-fashioned way … and I’ll apologize because I don’t even know what your situation is.”
My situation. *grins* You so don't even want to know my situation. Now that I think about it, what the hell is my situation? *laughs* (KayO points out that my situation could be that I'm gay. Hmm. I hadn't thought of that as one of the options. But no. It's certainly not that. And of course if there was a husband or a buff beaux on the scene, my response to him would have been much different.)
Like I said, just real chit-chatty stuff. The end result: He’s going to call me again next week and we’ll make plans then to meet during the weekend of the 14th. This could be something as simple as coffee on a Sunday morning or dinner on a Saturday night. (I’m leaning towards a Saturday morning coffee call for a little more conversation and a first look. Not that looks are everything, but they certainly don’t hurt.) I opted out of this weekend first because it's the mother's birthday and second because it's still going to be dry and around 50 so I can finish my outside stuff!
I don’t want to go on a blind date. I’m thinking that we meet in person, talk for a while, and I can see whether I want to put myself through the rigors of a genuine “date” or not at that point. That seems reasonable, doesn’t it?
The upside: How much do I really have to worry about how I look? (As the mother so eloquently put it, he was attracted to me while I was in "tar baby mode" for Chrissakes!)
I’m remembering with remarkable clarity now why all this stuff just does NOT appeal to me.